* [PARSER] Why not add properties to type 'org-data'?
@ 2013-09-05 15:34 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-09-05 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

why isn't some of the meta-data available from the communication channel
during export (especially the environmental data) stored in a property
list for the 'org-data' element type during parsing?

Of course in common use org-elements are tightly bound to a certain org
file, and that org file is used from Emacs, so all the meta-data is
there and available.

But imagine for a moment org-elements (e.g. type 'headline') are stored
somewhere else in a different (DB) format. Then those headlines/subtrees
are not tightly coupled with a file anymore, they can be used
individually, recombined to new documents etc. - each of them becomes a
individual DB object, the original containing org file is merely one of
their attributes.

In such a situation, it would of course be necessary to store
information about the 'org-data' element each of the headline elements
belonged to originally, if only to be able to reconstruct the original
org file. A simple DB link from the headline to the containing
'org-data' could do this - but currently all 'org-data' objects are
anonymous undistinguable objects with empty property lists.

Wouldn't it make sense to replace

| (org-data nil (section (:begin 1 :end 52 ...)))

with something like

?

--
cheers,