* What happened to ATTR_ORG?
@ 2019-05-24 15:16 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2019-05-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It used to be possible use ATTR_ORG on images to make them display at a
different size, which was very useful when the images were large.  It worked
like this:

#+ATTR_ORG: :width 300
[[file:very-large-image.jpg]]

I haven't needed it for a while, but today I went to use it and it's gone!  I
grepped the source code, ORG-NEWS and the git log, but didn't see any mention of
it.  What happened?  Did it go in version 9?  Am I overlooking something?  I
feel like I've stepped into some parallel universe where everything is the same
except this one Org command.

Bill
--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada   ---   Listening to Art: https://listeningtoart.org/
https://www.miskatonic.org/         ---   GHG.EARTH: https://ghg.earth/

* Re: What happened to ATTR_ORG?
@ 2019-05-24 15:31 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2019-05-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I still use this. Do you see any issues in the Messages?

If you try attr_latex does it work? If not you may have an imagemagick
problem that can’t rescale the thumbnail. Note you will have to toggle the
image display after you add that.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 11:18 AM William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:

> It used to be possible use ATTR_ORG on images to make them display at a
> different size, which was very useful when the images were large.  It
> worked
> like this:
>
> #+ATTR_ORG: :width 300
> [[file:very-large-image.jpg]]
>
> I haven't needed it for a while, but today I went to use it and it's
> gone!  I
> grepped the source code, ORG-NEWS and the git log, but didn't see any
> mention of
> it.  What happened?  Did it go in version 9?  Am I overlooking something?
> feel like I've stepped into some parallel universe where everything is the
> same
> except this one Org command.
>
> Bill
> --
> William Denton :: Toronto, Canada   ---   Listening to Art:
> https://listeningtoart.org/
> https://www.miskatonic.org/         ---   GHG.EARTH: https://ghg.earth/
> Caveat lector.                      ---   STAPLR: http://staplr.org/
>
> --
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: What happened to ATTR_ORG?
@ 2019-05-25  0:54   ` steen
From: steen @ 2019-05-25  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: William Denton, org-mode-email

I am also having the same issue. I don't have time right now to try to
track down causes, but this is not a unique problem. The behavior I am
seeing is that #+ATTR_ORG no longer causes the images to be resized, they
display at original size.
-- Steen

@ 2019-05-25  4:12     ` Cheong Yiu Fung
From: Cheong Yiu Fung @ 2019-05-25  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steen, John Kitchin; +Cc: William Denton, org-mode-email

I'm using the latest Org and it's working. If you'd like to dig the
cause you might want to dig in `org-display-inline-images'. It accepts
`:width' in any #+ATTR.*-like option, then immediately call
`create-image'. I would guess it's an imagemagick problem too.

* Re: [O] What happened to ATTR_ORG?
@ 2021-07-13 17:13       ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2021-07-13 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cheong Yiu Fung; +Cc: steen, org-mode-email, John Kitchin

Following up on this two years later ...

I had some images that I wanted to shrink in my Org buffer, but

   #+attr_org:

   (setq org-image-actual-width nil)

I had the variable set to t: "When non-nil, use the actual width of images when
inlining them."  There are a few other options, but nil does what I want:  "When set to nil, try to get the width from an #+ATTR.* keyword and fall back on the
original width if none is found."

Bill

On 25 May 2019, Cheong Yiu Fung wrote:

> I'm using the latest Org and it's working. If you'd like to dig the
> cause you might want to dig in `org-display-inline-images'. It accepts
> `:width' in any #+ATTR.*-like option, then immediately call
> `create-image'. I would guess it's an imagemagick problem too.
>
> steen <mediapathic@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am also having the same issue. I don't have time right now to try to
>> track down causes, but this is not a unique problem. The behavior I am
>> seeing is that #+ATTR_ORG no longer causes the images to be resized, they
>> display at original size.
>> -- Steen
>>

>> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 8:34 AM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I still use this. Do you see any issues in the Messages?
>>>
>>> If you try attr_latex does it work? If not you may have an imagemagick
>>> problem that can’t rescale the thumbnail. Note you will have to toggle the
>>> image display after you add that.

>>> John
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------
>>> Professor John Kitchin
>>> Doherty Hall A207F
>>> Department of Chemical Engineering
>>> Carnegie Mellon University
>>> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
>>> 412-268-7803
>>> @johnkitchin
>>> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/
Librarian, artist and licensed private investigator.
Toronto, Canada

* Re: [O] What happened to ATTR_ORG?
@ 2021-07-13 18:06         ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2021-07-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)