I've attached a patch which implements displaying remote images. > This is a longstanding problem, and there was an attempt to patch it in > 2014, but the patch was never accepted: > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-11/msg00583.html Compared to the previous attempt from 2014, I think my patch is simpler -- it doesn't require creating any temp files. > The fault might be with image.el rather than with org-mode itself -- > for example, when I execute the following elisp, I get the same blank > box: After doing some reading, I learned that image.el doesn't really create the image. Instead, create-image simply creates a blank string with a text property pointing to the image file location, and the rendering of the image gets handled later by the C code (for example, png_load_body() in image.c), which doesn't know how to read remote image files. Since I wasn't comfortable trying to get the C code to read the remote file, I instead took the approach used by image-mode.el, which reads the remote image file and passes its contents directly to create-image, instead of just passing the filename.