* Reposting Elgantt announcement
@ 2020-07-22 11:45 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2020-07-22 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

All,

I saw a cool Org related project come up on Reddit, but no announcement
here. This is a repost for community interest, I claim no credit.

This addon does interactive Gantt charts from Org files. Kudos to
"legalnonsense" for a neat way to visualize Org data!

See his screencast:

https://i.redd.it/t2wt8sytf9c51.gif

Original post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/hve0dy/ann_elgantt_gantt_chartcalendar_for_orgmode/

Source:

https://github.com/legalnonsense/elgantt/

* Re: Reposting Elgantt announcement
@ 2020-07-22 15:00 ` Jeff Filipovits
From: Jeff Filipovits @ 2020-07-22 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for reposting. I am the author. If anyone wants to help get
this into shape to go on MELPA that would be great. I am a bit
burned out on the project at the moment. Coding is is a hobby and
there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge with regard to getting it
cleaned up and finalized. Otherwise, I hope it works for anyone
who tries it!

--
Jeff Filipovits
Spears & Filipovits, LLC

All emails confidential to the fullest extent of the law.

* Re: Reposting Elgantt announcement
@ 2020-07-22 15:12   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2020-07-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:00:53AM -0400, Jeff Filipovits wrote:
> Thanks for reposting. I am the author. If anyone wants to help get
> this into shape to go on MELPA that would be great. I am a bit
> burned out on the project at the moment. Coding is is a hobby and
> there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge with regard to getting it
> cleaned up and finalized. Otherwise, I hope it works for anyone
> who tries it!

For a hobby effort it's quite impressive! I hope you find others that want to
help it progress. Gantt charts have been a long standing request regarding Org
data.

* Re: Reposting Elgantt announcement
@ 2020-07-23 13:50   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-07-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Filipovits; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This looks very impressive and, as Russell says, there is a fair bit of
potential demand for a good org based GANTT chart tool.  I don't have
time to have a serious look at it right now (preparing for teaching in a
COVID-19 world...) but will do so when I can.

A quick question, however.  My projects tend to be multi-year.  Does the
graphical presentation provide optional control of the date information
along the top?  We often use each year as a major divider with Q1..Q4
subdivisions for quarterly views of multi-year projects.  Even just
years with month labels (JFMA...D) would be good enough but full
month/day breakdowns as you currently have in the demo would be
unwieldy/ugly.

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-682-geac255

* Re: Reposting Elgantt announcement
@ 2020-07-23 14:05     ` Jeff Filipovits
From: Jeff Filipovits @ 2020-07-23 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> A quick question, however.  My projects tend to be multi-year.
> Does the
> graphical presentation provide optional control of the date
> information
> along the top?  We often use each year as a major divider with
> Q1..Q4
> subdivisions for quarterly views of multi-year projects.  Even
> just
> years with month labels (JFMA...D) would be good enough but full
> month/day breakdowns as you currently have in the demo would be
> unwieldy/ugly.

Not currently an option but would not be hard to implement. Some
of the code relies on the months to be displayed but they could be
hidden in a text property somewhere. The vertical lines between
months are important though, so there’s no way to get rid of
those.

Adding an option to hide the number line for the dates should not
be difficult.

If you gave me an idea of what you want it to look like I could
figure out a way to make the top lines customizable in a way that
could accommodate it.

--
Jeff Filipovits
Spears & Filipovits, LLC

@ 2020-09-10 13:53 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Russell,

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> I saw a cool Org related project come up on Reddit, but no announcement
> here. This is a repost for community interest, I claim no credit.

I added a link in https://orgmode.org/worg/org-tools/

Thanks!

--
 Bastien