Hi Chuck and Dylan, "Berry, Charles" writes: > This problem has been bugging people for years and previous attempts to solve it have always run up against creating more problems in the process of solving this one. > > If you do decide to dig into solving this, please be sure that remote sessions and graphical outputs are not broken. test-ob-R.el does not cover those cases. In fact, it is pretty short, so there are probably other things that could break without `make test' complaining. I think I have found a robust solution to this issue, which I've attached. The solution avoids parsing for prompts at all, thus it should be robust even for the case when the beginning of an output line looks like a prompt. I tested that the unit tests all pass, and that remote sessions and graphical outputs still work. I also added Dylan's examples as unit tests. Cheers, Jack