Kyle Meyer writes: > On 09/23/21 17:17:48 -0400, No Wayman wrote: > It looks like you've unintentionally added a ')' to the end of > the > GITVERSION line. Apologies. Must've been a stray. > Another approach would be to update org.el's version to contain > something that still signals "-dev" but won't trigger the > "Invalid > version syntax" (which, based on grepping the Emacs repo, is > signaled by > version-to-list). But given that in the current setup a clone > with tags > wouldn't use the header version, stripping -dev for consistency > sounds > like the way to go. I agree we should keep it simple and consistent. Out of curiosity I ran this against the repo to see if the "Version" metadata had always followed its current convention: git grep "Version:" $(git rev-list --all) -- lisp/org.el Looks like the "-dev" suffix goes back to "9.4-dev" and before that we have "8.4-git" and "6.08-pre01". I'm not sure what Org's convention is here, but the patsubst could be adjusted to be more flexible if necessary. I tried to be more concrete with the commit message. See attached.