Hello I made some progress in getting the function to work in Xemacs. The main problem seemed to be the function org-dvipng-color which is called in org-create-formula-image. The original formulation was (defun org-dvipng-color (attr) "Return an rgb color specification for dvipng." (apply 'format "rgb %s %s %s" (mapcar 'org-normalize-color (color-values (face-attribute 'default attr nil))))) Which does not work for Xemacs. Thanks to Julian Bradfield, the solution seems to be: (defun org-dvipng-color (attr) "Return an rgb color specification for dvipng." (apply 'format "rgb %s %s %s" (mapcar 'org-normalize-color (color-rgb-components (face-property 'default (intern (substring (symbol-name attr) 1))))))) However the png which were generated where to small to be readable. I attach one at the end of the message. So I tried out in GNU Emacs 21.3 to comment out org-dvipng-color in org-create-formula-image. org-preview-latex-fragment then still works, so is not necessary for generating the pngs. So I tried to do the same in Xemacs but the formulas in the png files keep being too small. What could be the reason for this behavior? Uwe Brauer The following attachment should be an integral. Xemacs: