* Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-13 15:22 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-08-13 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development List, org mode; +Cc: Bastien Guerry

Hi,

Following the success of the emacs conference, Bastien and I would like
to arrange a barcamp. This is something informal involving about twelve
persons. I envision this to be in Europe. It would be in French or
English, I don't care.

I am good at organizing stuff. I am a bad MC and bad speaker. I can show
two people how to have fun programming lisp.

Let's focus on the basic questions:

Where?

Someone mentioned Stockholm I think but I can't recall who.
I know of two places in Paris

When?

Early December

Who?

Well, just respond.

And what's next?
--
La musique a sept lettres, l'écriture a vingt-cinq notes.
    -- Joseph Joubert

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-13 19:03 ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-08-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, org mode, Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Following the success of the emacs conference, Bastien and I would like
> to arrange a barcamp. This is something informal involving about twelve
> persons. I envision this to be in Europe. It would be in French or
> English, I don't care.
>
> I am good at organizing stuff. I am a bad MC and bad speaker. I can show
> two people how to have fun programming lisp.
>
> Let's focus on the basic questions:
>
> Where?
>
> Someone mentioned Stockholm I think but I can't recall who.

It was I that mentioned Stockholm. Our company has an office we could
probably use. But I think places to be are probably easy to come by, so
do what you feel is easiest!

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-13 19:59   ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2013-08-13 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Ivan Kanis, Emacs Development List, org mode, Bastien Guerry

I expect I could offer physical space in Berlin or Hamburg, either at
SoundCloud (Berlin) or ThoughtWorks (Hamburg)

I probably wouldn't attend if it's a weekend thing though so this would
have to be a last resort.

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following the success of the emacs conference, Bastien and I would like
>> to arrange a barcamp. This is something informal involving about twelve
>> persons. I envision this to be in Europe. It would be in French or
>> English, I don't care.
>>
>> I am good at organizing stuff. I am a bad MC and bad speaker. I can show
>> two people how to have fun programming lisp.
>>
>> Let's focus on the basic questions:
>>
>> Where?
>>
>> Someone mentioned Stockholm I think but I can't recall who.
>
> It was I that mentioned Stockholm. Our company has an office we could
> probably use. But I think places to be are probably easy to come by, so
> do what you feel is easiest!
>

>> I know of two places in Paris
>>
>> When?
>>
>> Early December
>>
>> Who?
>>
>> Well, just respond.
>>
>> And what's next?

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-14 13:07     ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-08-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nic Ferrier; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, org mode, joakim, Emacs Development List

Le 13 Août à 20h59, Nic Ferrier a écrit :

> I probably wouldn't attend if it's a weekend thing though so this would
> have to be a last resort.

Thanks for offering venues. It's a weekend thing.
--
Un roman commence par un coup de dés.
    -- Roger Vailland

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-14 13:11   ` Ivan Kanis
       [not found]     ` <m3y584tmrh.fsf@exodia.verona.se>
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-08-14 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, org mode, Emacs Development List

Le 13 Août à 21h03, joakim@verona.se a écrit :

> It was I that mentioned Stockholm. Our company has an office we could
> probably use. But I think places to be are probably easy to come by, so
> do what you feel is easiest!

How many people can sit at your office meeting room? I would like to
visit Stockholm.

Take care,

Ivan
--
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
    -- Alphonse Karr

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
       [not found]     ` <m3y584tmrh.fsf@exodia.verona.se>
@ 2013-08-14 13:58       ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-08-14 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: org mode, Emacs Development List

Le 14 Août à 15h39, joakim@verona.se a écrit :

>> How many people can sit at your office meeting room? I would like to
>> visit Stockholm.
>
> The office is limited to 150 people by fire regulations I think. But
> that would be crowded.

I would like to be about 12. More is too much for me to handle.

> Theres a fridge and a kitchen. The company I work for can likely also
> provide snacks and some t-shirts :)

Is Swedish beer any good ? :)
--
La différence entre un bon et un mauvais architecte réside en ce que
le mauvais succombe à toutes les tentations quand le bon leur tient

    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

J'écoute « Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema ».

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-14 14:38         ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-08-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: org mode, Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> Le 14 Août à 15h39, joakim@verona.se a écrit :
>
>>> How many people can sit at your office meeting room? I would like to
>>> visit Stockholm.
>>
>> The office is limited to 150 people by fire regulations I think. But
>> that would be crowded.
>
> I would like to be about 12. More is too much for me to handle.
>
>> Theres a fridge and a kitchen. The company I work for can likely also
>> provide snacks and some t-shirts :)
>
> Is Swedish beer any good ? :)

Hmm not as compared to the great beer nations of Europe.
But there are acceptable swedish beers, and theres large amounts of
imported beer.

The company usually keeps enough beer for 12 people in the fridge.
(I'm not exactly sure since I dont drink alcohol since approx 2009)

To use the office I must be able to attend, and I'm doing some traveling
this autumn.

BTW with only 12 people it would be fun to do stuff like hands-on
sessions and hacker sessions, WDYT?
--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-14 14:58           ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-08-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim, Bastien Guerry; +Cc: org mode, Emacs Development List

Le 14 Août à 16h38, joakim@verona.se a écrit :

> BTW with only 12 people it would be fun to do stuff like hands-on
> sessions and hacker sessions, WDYT?

That's the spirit of a barcamp! Let's wait on Bastien's reply.
--
L'histoire est un roman qui a été ; le roman est de l'histoire qui
aurait pu être.

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-14 16:26             ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2013-08-14 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think I need to hurry up and get back to Stockholm! ;]

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 04:58:29PM +0200, Ivan Kanis wrote:
> Le 14 Août à 16h38, joakim@verona.se a écrit :
>
> > BTW with only 12 people it would be fun to do stuff like hands-on
> > sessions and hacker sessions, WDYT?
>
> That's the spirit of a barcamp! Let's wait on Bastien's reply.
> --
> L'histoire est un roman qui a été ; le roman est de l'histoire qui
> aurait pu être.
>     -- Edmond et Jules de Goncourt

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-16  8:08             ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-08-16  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Daimrod, Bastien Guerry, org mode, Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> Le 14 Août à 16h38, joakim@verona.se a écrit :
>
>> BTW with only 12 people it would be fun to do stuff like hands-on
>> sessions and hacker sessions, WDYT?
>
> That's the spirit of a barcamp! Let's wait on Bastien's reply.

BTW Me and Daimrod will attend
http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2013/paris/
so at least two Emacs hackers will be there.

We could have an additional Emacs event there for interested parties.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-19 13:41               ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-08-19 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Daimrod, Bastien Guerry, org mode, Emacs Development List

Le 16 Août à 10h08, joakim@verona.se a écrit :

> Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:
>
>> Le 14 Août à 16h38, joakim@verona.se a écrit :
>>
>>> BTW with only 12 people it would be fun to do stuff like hands-on
>>> sessions and hacker sessions, WDYT?
>>
>> That's the spirit of a barcamp! Let's wait on Bastien's reply.
>
> BTW Me and Daimrod will attend
> http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2013/paris/
> so at least two Emacs hackers will be there.
>
> We could have an additional Emacs event there for interested parties.

It's too soon for me. I need to plan about three months ahead.
--
Et souvent les choses qui m'ont semblé vraies lorsque j'ai commencé à
les concevoir, m'ont paru fausses lorsque je les ai voulu mettre sur

J'écoute « La Rue Ketanou - Germaine ».

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-20  9:18               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-08-20  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Daimrod, Ivan Kanis, org mode, Emacs Development List

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:
>
>> Le 14 Août à 16h38, joakim@verona.se a écrit :
>>
>>> BTW with only 12 people it would be fun to do stuff like hands-on
>>> sessions and hacker sessions, WDYT?
>>
>> That's the spirit of a barcamp! Let's wait on Bastien's reply.
>
> BTW Me and Daimrod will attend
> http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2013/paris/
> so at least two Emacs hackers will be there.

I will be there two, so that's at least three now!

I will attend friday and saturday afternoon.

Sylvestre just confirmed me we can sit at IRILL on sunday,
so if people are interested in doing their Emacs homework
then, that will be one possibility.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-20  9:22         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-08-20  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: org mode, joakim, Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> I would like to be about 12. More is too much for me to handle.

For small events, I find it easier to set a date and a location
then call for participation.

Calling for participation before setting the date and location does
not work very well, unless you want a lot of people to attend, and
try to get the best date for most of them.

So I suggest we coordinate with each other, set the date/location
in Paris, then announce it publicly.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-22 16:09           ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-08-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: org mode, joakim, Emacs Development List

August, 20 at 11:22 Bastien wrote:

> So I suggest we coordinate with each other, set the date/location
> in Paris, then announce it publicly.

OK, when?
--
Interference between the keyboard and the chair.
    -- BOFH excuse #58

* Re: Emacs Barcamp
@ 2013-08-22 17:48             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-08-22 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: org mode, joakim, Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> August, 20 at 11:22 Bastien wrote:
>
>> So I suggest we coordinate with each other, set the date/location
>> in Paris, then announce it publicly.
>
> OK, when?

I replied in private.

--