From: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Trouble with capture template and prompt
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:57:40 -0500	[thread overview]

Bart Bunting <bart@bunting.net.au> writes:

Hi Bart,

> I sort of had already narrowed it down but am unsure of how to debug
> further.
>
> Removing %^{Todo}  from the template and everything works.

Just a shot in the dark, which shouldn't make any difference, but try
this template, which works for me:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
("t" "Task" entry
      (file "")
      "* TODO %^{Description}    %^G

%U %?" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
#+END_SRC

You might also try replacing %^{Todo} with %^{Description}, just for fun.

> Any suggestions on how to dig into this further?

That backtrace doesn't seem helpful to me either.  Maybe Nick's advice
will help here.  :)

> I have some other bits of org config in my main config file but not sure
> that they would cause breakage like this.

Hard to say without testing.  If nothing else works, try using the
bug-hunter package from MELPA to bisect your config, keeping the
template unchanged (i.e. you could eval the template manually when
testing).  If there is something in your config causing it, this should
narrow it down for you.

> The other thing is that I use emacspeak which is probably the advice
> calls shown in the debug above.  Hard for me to test without it though
> as then I can't use emacs.

That definitely makes it much more challenging.  I'm sorry I can't be
much help here, as I know nothing about emacspeak.

> I could also try an earlier version of emacspeak in case the error is
> being caused by the advice in some strange way.

If it's not too time-consuming, that'd be a good idea too.

Also, sorry if you already mentioned this, but you might try using a
newer version of Org if possible.