Hi, When a verse block includes a footnote reference, the corresponding footnote definition is understood in the LaTeX export as if it were part of the verses. In other words, every line in a =\footnote{}= macro ends with the string =\\=, and the spaces between paragraphs are understood as spaces between stanzas (\vspace*{1em}). If the text of the footnote definition contains one or more filled paragraphs, then the export result is catastrophic. For example, if we have something like this: #+begin_src org ,#+begin_verse lorem ipsum[fn:1] dolor ,#+end_verse [fn:1] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus. #+end_src in LaTeX we get this: #+begin_src latex \begin{verse} lorem\\ ipsum\footnote{Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor\\ tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget,\\ convallis nec, purus.\\ \vspace*{1em} Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor tellus.\\ Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec,\\ purus.}\\ dolor\\ \end{verse} #+end_src Since footnotes are allowed within a LaTeX =verse= environment, I think this behavior should be fixed. I'm wondering if it would make sense to modify the =org-latex-verse-block= function, in order to "save" the text formatting of the footnote definition, something like this (apologies in advance for my rudimentary Elisp: what I'm proposing is more of a concept, or a pedestrian solution, than a actual patch ;-): #+begin_src emacs-lisp (defun preserve-footnote-definition-in-verse-block (cont) (with-temp-buffer (insert cont) (save-excursion (goto-char (point-max)) (while (re-search-backward "}" nil t) (let ((from (point)) (to (save-excursion (re-search-backward "\\\\footnote{" nil t) (point)))) (save-restriction (narrow-to-region from to) (goto-char (point-min)) (while (re-search-forward "\n\n+" nil t) (replace-match "\\\\par\s" t nil)) (goto-char (point-min)) (while (re-search-forward "\n" nil t) (replace-match "\s" t nil)))))) (buffer-string))) (defun org-latex-verse-block (verse-block contents info) "Transcode a VERSE-BLOCK element from Org to LaTeX. CONTENTS is verse block contents. INFO is a plist holding contextual information." (org-latex--wrap-label verse-block ;; In a verse environment, add a line break to each newline ;; character and change each white space at beginning of a line ;; into a space of 1 em. Also change each blank line with ;; a vertical space of 1 em. (format "\\begin{verse}\n%s\\end{verse}" (replace-regexp-in-string "^[ \t]+" (lambda (m) (format "\\hspace*{%dem}" (length m))) (replace-regexp-in-string "^[ \t]*\\\\\\\\$" "\\vspace*{1em}" (replace-regexp-in-string "\\([ \t]*\\\\\\\\\\)?[ \t]*\n" "\\\\\n" (preserve-footnote-definition-in-verse-block contents) nil t) nil t) nil t)) info)) #+end_src Best, Juan Manuel