* Bug: tab key no longer bound to org-cycle in commit 565361eb69 [9.4.6 (9.4.6-10-gee652a-elpaplus @ /Users/bartm002/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210705/)]
@ 2021-07-07  1:05 Mark Barton
From: Mark Barton @ 2021-07-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I normally use C-RET to enter a new headline and then press TAB to make it child headline. Recently it stopped working and I think I have it tracked down to the change that was made last week. I could be missing something that allows “TAB” to work for a kdb binding, but the previous format of "<tab>" works.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.5.0, NS appkit-2022.50 Version 11.4 (Build 20F71))
 of 2021-07-06
Package: Org mode version 9.4.6 (9.4.6-10-gee652a-elpaplus @ /Users/bartm002/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210705/)

In commit 565361eb69 org-keys.el line 445

(org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "TAB") #'org-cycle)

This does not work for my configuration and tab ends up bound to outline-cycle instead.

If I change “TAB” back to “<tab>” and byte compile org-keys.el then the tab key gets bound to org-cycle
(org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "<tab>") #'org-cycle)

* Re: Bug: tab key no longer bound to org-cycle in commit 565361eb69 [9.4.6 (9.4.6-10-gee652a-elpaplus @ /Users/bartm002/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210705/)]
  2021-07-07  1:05 Bug: tab key no longer bound to org-cycle in commit 565361eb69 [9.4.6 (9.4.6-10-gee652a-elpaplus @ /Users/bartm002/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210705/)] Mark Barton
@ 2021-07-07 12:23 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-07-07 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday,  6 Jul 2021 at 18:05, Mark Barton wrote:
> I normally use C-RET to enter a new headline and then press TAB to
> make it child headline. Recently it stopped working and I think I have
> it tracked down to the change that was made last week. I could be
> missing something that allows “TAB” to work for a kdb binding, but the
> previous format of "<tab>" works.

I've also found TAB no longer moving from cell to cell in tables.  I use
evil and now TAB (translated from <tab> according to C-h c) is bound to
evil-jump-forward.  The only change in my environment has been updating
org.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-579-gfdb98a
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

@ 2021-07-07 13:35   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-07-07 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

> On Tuesday,  6 Jul 2021 at 18:05, Mark Barton wrote:
>> I normally use C-RET to enter a new headline and then press TAB to
>> make it child headline. Recently it stopped working and I think I have
>> it tracked down to the change that was made last week. I could be
>> missing something that allows “TAB” to work for a kdb binding, but the
>> previous format of "<tab>" works.
>
> I've also found TAB no longer moving from cell to cell in tables.  I use
> evil and now TAB (translated from <tab> according to C-h c) is bound to
> evil-jump-forward.  The only change in my environment has been updating
> org.

Binding <tab> is frowned upon, because it has higher priority than TAB,
and also because it doesn't work everywhere, like in terminals.

If TAB doesn't work properly in Org, then something, e.g., a minor mode
(Evil in the second case), is stealing the binding. I guess you have to
reclaim it back.

Please see (and answer there)
<https://orgmode.org/list/00ca1c7b-1e1d-fc91-eef3-dfc29b51b825@daniel-mendler.de/>

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2021-07-07 14:11     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-07-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

On Wednesday,  7 Jul 2021 at 15:35, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Binding <tab> is frowned upon, because it has higher priority than TAB,
> and also because it doesn't work everywhere, like in terminals.

Ah, okay.  Thank you.

--

@ 2021-07-08  4:18     ` Mark Barton
From: Mark Barton @ 2021-07-08  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

So I put back the mapping in org-key.el to map TAB instead of <tab> in my local copy and instead commented out line 185 in outline.el to get TAB to map to org-cycle.

——snippet from outline.el
(defvar outline-mode-cycle-map
  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
    (let ((tab-binding `(menu-item
                         "" outline-cycle
                         ;; Only takes effect if point is on a heading.
                         :filter ,(lambda (cmd)
                                    (when (outline-on-heading-p) cmd)))))
      (define-key map [tab]       tab-binding)
      (define-key map (kbd "TAB") tab-binding)
      (define-key map (kbd "<backtab>") #'outline-cycle-buffer))
    map)
  "Keymap used by `outline-mode-map' and `outline-minor-mode-cycle'.")

Does that sound like the right thing to do? If so then I could submit it to the Emacs dev list.

I don’t see outline as a minor mode listed when I use C-h m while in an org file expecting org-cycle.

Mark

@ 2021-07-08  8:47       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-07-08  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Barton; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Mark Barton <mbarton98@gmail.com> writes:

> So I put back the mapping in org-key.el to map TAB instead of <tab> in my local copy and instead commented out line 185 in outline.el to get TAB to map to org-cycle.
>
> ——snippet from outline.el
> (defvar outline-mode-cycle-map
>   (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
>     (let ((tab-binding `(menu-item
>                          "" outline-cycle
>                          ;; Only takes effect if point is on a heading.
>                          :filter ,(lambda (cmd)
>                                     (when (outline-on-heading-p) cmd)))))
>       (define-key map [tab]       tab-binding)
>       (define-key map (kbd "TAB") tab-binding)
>       (define-key map (kbd "<backtab>") #'outline-cycle-buffer))
>     map)
>   "Keymap used by `outline-mode-map' and `outline-minor-mode-cycle'.")
>
> Does that sound like the right thing to do? If so then I could submit
> it to the Emacs dev list.

There are multiple solutions to this. But, as I wrote, you ought to
answer in the other thread I mentioned, the one that initiated this
change, and probably to Emacs Devel.

Nicolas Goaziou