* Introducing Org-transclusion
@ 2021-10-30 11:51 Noboru Ota
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noboru Ota @ 2021-10-30 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to Org mailing list.

I would like to introduce an add-on package I have been developing for
about one year and ask for discussion / advice.

The package is named "Org-transclusion", and is available on GitHub at
https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion.  Simply put, it lets you
insert a copy of text content via a file link or ID link within an Org
file.  The GitHub repository contains links short video presentations
and documentation in detail.

Judging from feedback from users, it is used for academic writing such
as PhD dissertation, technical writing with source code embedded as
transclusions, and note taking.  I am not a programmer by trade; I
originally developed it to help me write a book.  It's a very thin volume
on a business topic, which has nothing to do with Emacs or Org mode.

Is this type of add-on packages worth considering for inclusion into
Org?  I am asking this question without knowing the practice of how
these things are considered in this mailing list; apologies if I am
missing the context.  The feedback I have received includes requests for
me to put this discussion forward in this mailing list, so some people
find it useful if Org-transclusion were part of Org.

I am in the process of assigning the copyright to FSF (my email request
has not been responded to, so I might need to do it again).  I would be
also fine to put Org-transclusion on GNU ELPA (or NonGNU ELPA) and see
it to mature before this discussion can be had.  Of course, I would also
understand if there is an outright decision to not consider my request
at this point in time.

I will appreciate your comments and discussions.

Thank you.
Noboru