* Dates in headlines
@ 2022-06-28  9:06 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-06-28  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I think I've read somewhere that it is a "bad practice" to use dates in
headlines, is it correct? I haven't found it in the manual.

Like:

**** <2022-06-29 mi. 10:30> Meeting

Best regards

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-06-28 21:13 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-06-28 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Org-mode, Emacs-orgmode

On 2022-06-28 12:06, Ypo wrote:
> I think I've read somewhere that it is a "bad practice" to use dates
> in headlines, is it correct? I haven't found it in the manual.
>
> Like:
>
> **** <2022-06-29 mi. 10:30> Meeting
>
> Best regards

In many of my notes I use dates in titles of the section. Note creation
is not always equal to date to which not relates. When it is useful, use
it.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-06-28 23:23 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-06-28 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Org-mode

this iirc has been obsolete for many years and ime and on ml never was
an issue.  i tried to find out why it was mentioned but did not find
anything.  it might have been an ambiguity in the manual to do with
active tses like in your example?  e.g. the agenda will remove the
active ts at least in certain cases, but that is a deliberate feature.

i successfully rely on inactive as below.  they are sorted by the ts.
a capture template inserts them.

much better than date trees for my case.  always show, sorted at
bottom, no hierarchy, nothing out of sync, can scan and bisect to find
an entry or get a sense of number, can change a ts and sort again,
looks the same in the agenda, etc.

***** LOG [2021-07-01 Thu] vulcans mediating with klingons
***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] brawl.  scottie of course :(.
***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] hauled away AS garbage?
***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] klingons said garbage scow

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-06-29 18:11   ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-06-29 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, Jean Louis; +Cc: Org-mode

Thanks, Jean and Samuel, I will keep using them without remorse then :-)

Best regards!

El 29/06/2022 a las 1:23, Samuel Wales escribió:
> this iirc has been obsolete for many years and ime and on ml never was
> an issue.  i tried to find out why it was mentioned but did not find
> anything.  it might have been an ambiguity in the manual to do with
> active tses like in your example?  e.g. the agenda will remove the
> active ts at least in certain cases, but that is a deliberate feature.
>
> i successfully rely on inactive as below.  they are sorted by the ts.
> a capture template inserts them.
>
> much better than date trees for my case.  always show, sorted at
> bottom, no hierarchy, nothing out of sync, can scan and bisect to find
> an entry or get a sense of number, can change a ts and sort again,
> looks the same in the agenda, etc.
>

> ***** LOG [2021-07-01 Thu] vulcans mediating with klingons
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] brawl.  scottie of course :(.
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] hauled away AS garbage?
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] klingons said garbage scow
>

> On 6/28/22, Ypo<ypuntot@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I think I've read somewhere that it is a "bad practice" to use dates in
>> headlines, is it correct? I haven't found it in the manual.
>>
>> Like:
>>
>> **** <2022-06-29 mi. 10:30> Meeting
>>
>> Best regards

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-08-16 17:45 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-08-16 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: samologist, Org-mode

I found it again:

"If the headline contains a timestamp, it is removed from the link,
which results in a wrong link—you should avoid putting a timestamp in
the headline."

https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28

> this iirc has been obsolete for many years and ime and on ml never was
> an issue.  i tried to find out why it was mentioned but did not find
> anything.  it might have been an ambiguity in the manual to do with
> active tses like in your example?  e.g. the agenda will remove the
> active ts at least in certain cases, but that is a deliberate feature.
>
> i successfully rely on inactive as below.  they are sorted by the ts.
> a capture template inserts them.
>
> much better than date trees for my case.  always show, sorted at
> bottom, no hierarchy, nothing out of sync, can scan and bisect to find
> an entry or get a sense of number, can change a ts and sort again,
> looks the same in the agenda, etc.
>

> ***** LOG [2021-07-01 Thu] vulcans mediating with klingons
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] brawl.  scottie of course :(.
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] hauled away AS garbage?
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] klingons said garbage scow
>

> On 6/28/22, Ypo<ypuntot@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >/I think I've read somewhere that it is a "bad practice" to use dates in/
> >/headlines, is it correct? I haven't found it in the manual./
> >
> >/Like:/
> >
> >/**** <2022-06-29 mi. 10:30> Meeting/
> >
> >/Best regards/
> >
> *From*: 	Samuel Wales
> *Subject*: 	Re: Dates in headlines
> *Date*: 	Tue, 28 Jun 2022 16:23:02 -0700

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-08-19  5:58 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-19  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: samologist, Org-mode

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> I found it again:
>
> "If the headline contains a timestamp, it is removed from the link,
> which results in a wrong link—you should avoid putting a timestamp in
> the headline."
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28

Unless I miss something, this footnote is plain wrong. The timestamps
are not removed. At least not when I run M-x org-store-link on a
headline with timestamp with emacs -Q.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2023-01-28  8:12 Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-01-28  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 19/08/2022 12:58, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Ypo writes:
>
>> I found it again:
>>
>> "If the headline contains a timestamp, it is removed from the link,
>> which results in a wrong link—you should avoid putting a timestamp in
>> the headline."
>>
>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28
>
> Unless I miss something, this footnote is plain wrong. The timestamps
> are not removed. At least not when I run M-x org-store-link on a
> headline with timestamp with emacs -Q.

I have realized that "first wins" parsing principle (consider +a =b+
c*d=) may mean a problem for timestamp at the end of link text. So

     [[file:test.txt][Test [2023-01-28 Sat]]]

requires a zero-width space after the bracket closing the timestamp. The
same is applicable to fuzzy link to headings. So either

     [[*Heading \[2023-01-28 Sat\]][Heading [2023-01-28 Sat]​]]
ZWS in between--------------------------------------------^^

or

     [[*Heading \[2023-01-28 Sat\]]]

should be used. `org-insert-link' handles it correctly, but when typing
links from keyboard, users should be aware of such kind of pitfall. So
timestamps in headings may be source of some inconvenience.

May it happen that in some old Org version timestamps at the end of
headings were removed due by code intended to handle statistics cookie
[1/10]?

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2023-02-02 20:37 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-02 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> May it happen that in some old Org version timestamps at the end of
> headings were removed due by code intended to handle statistics cookie
> [1/10]?

I do not see how.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2023-07-14 12:57   ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-07-14 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 03/02/2023 03:37, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> May it happen that in some old Org version timestamps at the end of
>> headings were removed due by code intended to handle statistics cookie
>> [1/10]?
>
> I do not see how.

A patch for `org-store-link' tests reminded me about this topic. The
footnote on dates in heading title was added in response to

Links to datestamped headings broken? Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:49:14 +1300
https://list.orgmode.org/86pqqi9jnp.wl%25sguest@bayfield-high.school.nz/T/#u

3765304c8 2011-06-28 15:30:50 +0200 Bastien Guerry: doc/org.texi:
footnote: don't put timestamps in headlines.

however removing of timestamps was dropped during migration to org-element:

a0be28eeb 2012-12-22 23:06:08 +0100 Bastien Guerry: org.el
(org-make-org-heading-search-string): Rewrite using org-element.el

Cleaning up of statistics cookies, tags, comment and todo keywords were
re-added, but timestamps are preserved since that commit.

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2023-07-18  9:24     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-07-18  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> A patch for `org-store-link' tests reminded me about this topic. The
> footnote on dates in heading title was added in response to
>
> Links to datestamped headings broken? Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:49:14 +1300
> https://list.orgmode.org/86pqqi9jnp.wl%25sguest@bayfield-high.school.nz/T/#u
>
> 3765304c8 2011-06-28 15:30:50 +0200 Bastien Guerry: doc/org.texi:
> footnote: don't put timestamps in headlines.
>
> however removing of timestamps was dropped during migration to org-element:

I have removed this footnote in 5adde9f3f.
Are you saying that there are still some bugs related to this topic?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2023-07-19 16:27       ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-07-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 18/07/2023 16:24, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> The footnote on dates in heading title was added in response to
>>
>> Links to datestamped headings broken? Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:49:14 +1300
>>
>> 3765304c8 2011-06-28 15:30:50 +0200 Bastien Guerry: doc/org.texi:
>> footnote: don't put timestamps in headlines.
>>
>> however removing of timestamps was dropped during migration to org-element:
>
> I have removed this footnote in 5adde9f3f.
> Are you saying that there are still some bugs related to this topic?

My intention was just to explain origin of that footnote and to confirm
that it was an obsolete one. I have no idea why timestamps were removed
while storing links to headings in the initial Org mode commit. Perhaps,
the change to preserve timestamps was not intentional, but since it
happened a decade ago and nobody has complained, there is no point in
changing current behavior.