* bug in org-table?
@ 2010-04-06 21:42 Rainer Thiel
From: Rainer Thiel @ 2010-04-06 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have noticed recently what I think may be a bug in org table:  When
I hold the mouse over a narrowed field, the tool-tip window shows only
the text "Clipped table field, use C-c ` to edit. Full value is:" and
an empty line after that.  The full text is not shown.  I had first
noticed this bug in org-version 6.34c, but I now see the problem is
still there in v. 6.35.

I have exprienced this behaviour on the following file:

--->

| Title1     | Title2      |
|------------+-------------|
| One rather long entry | Short entry |
| <10>       |             |
<---

I remember the feature worked correctly in earlier versions of org-mode.

Any idea what might be behind that problem?

Many thanks again for this great mode,

Rainer
--
Prof. Dr. Rainer Thiel
Dekan Philosophische Fakultät

* Re: bug in org-table?
@ 2010-04-07  6:02 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-07  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r.thiel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

this works just fine for me.

- Carsten

On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:42 PM, Rainer Thiel wrote:

> I have noticed recently what I think may be a bug in org table:  When
> I hold the mouse over a narrowed field, the tool-tip window shows only
> the text "Clipped table field, use C-c ` to edit. Full value is:" and
> an empty line after that.  The full text is not shown.  I had first
> noticed this bug in org-version 6.34c, but I now see the problem is
> still there in v. 6.35.
>
> I have exprienced this behaviour on the following file:
>
> --->
>
> | Title1     | Title2      |
> |------------+-------------|
> | One rather long entry | Short entry |
> | <10>       |             |
> <---
>
> I remember the feature worked correctly in earlier versions of org-
> mode.
>
> Any idea what might be behind that problem?
>
> Many thanks again for this great mode,
>
> Rainer
> --
> Prof. Dr. Rainer Thiel
> Dekan Philosophische Fakultät
> 07737 Jena, Germany (EU)
> r.thiel@uni-jena.de

- Carsten

* Re: bug in org-table?
@ 2010-04-07 18:14   ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-04-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, r.thiel

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>Hi Rainer,

>this works just fine for me.

Works fine here, too.  Using

Org-mode version 6.33x

shipped with

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.9)
 of 2010-03-26 on elegiac, modified by Debian

HTH
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: bug in org-table?
@ 2010-04-08 15:32   ` Rainer Thiel
From: Rainer Thiel @ 2010-04-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2010/4/7 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>:
> this works just fine for me.

Many thanks to Carsten and David for their responses.  I'am a bit at a
loss on where the problem may lay:  I have made a fresh installation
of Emacs 23.1 and org-mode 6.35f -- and nothing else.

The .emacs init file contains nothing else but:

-->
(require 'org-install)

<--

Yet, I am still experiencing the same problem:  When in the file:

-->
| Col1       | Col2      | Col3      |
|------------+-----------+-----------|
| long table entry | sh. t. e. | sh. t. e. |
| <10>       |           |           |

<--

the table is aligned properly (showing " long tab=> " in the first
column), and I move the mouse cursor over that field, what is shown in
the pop-up window is only "Clipped table field, use C-c ` to edit.
Full value is:" and an empty line.

Since I am running Emacs under Windows (Vista) I am wondering if in
programming this feature any assumptions might have been made about
the behaviour of the operating system, assumptions Windows might not
match?

Best regards, and many thanks for your help

Rainer
--

@ 2010-04-08 16:48     ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2010-04-08 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r.thiel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

I have been able to reproduce the behaviour reported in the OP exactly once.
After adding a second table to the file the tooltip behaved as expected
and neither undoing nor starting from a fresh file could reproduce it

While experimenting I noticed that in the following table:

| Title1         | Title2         |
|----------------+----------------|
| 1. column, 1. rather long entry | 2. column, 1. rather long entry |
| 1. column, 2. rather long entry | 2. column, 2. rather long entry |
| <14>           | <14>           |

the tooltip texts for the "=>" in the second column are those of the
first column.

I'm running:

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.6)
 of 2010-04-05 on fluxx
Package: Org-mode version 6.35f (release_6.35f.1.g39c91.dirty)

Andreas