* Waiting for refresh to finish...
@ 2020-07-27 16:13 Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2020-07-27 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello everybody,

"Waiting for refresh to finish..." is the message that I get with U command
after package-list-packages, but the refresh is never finished and I cannot
upgrade the packages.

Help is welcome.

Best wishes,

Jo.

* Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...
@ 2020-07-27 16:28 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-07-27 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 06:13:20PM +0200, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> "Waiting for refresh to finish..." is the message that I get with U command
> after package-list-packages, but the refresh is never finished and I cannot
> upgrade the packages.

Hm. Doesn't happen here. Network problem?

I'm far from an expert in that area, but perhaps more details are needed.

What is the value of your variable `package-archives'? Are the URLs mentioned
there reachable from your neck of the woods?

Cheers
-- t

* Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...
@ 2020-07-27 17:13   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2020-07-27 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks  for your  help,  Tomas,  here is  the  beginning  of my  init.el
(suggestions to improve it are of course welcome):

(defvar last-file-name-handler-alist file-name-handler-alist)
(setq gc-cons-threshold  602653184
      gc-cons-percentage 0.6
      file-name-handler-alist nil)

;;; General configuration section

;; Dumped Emacs
;; (when (boundp 'galactic-emacs-pdumper-dumped)
;;  ;; Restore `load-path'
;;  (setq load-path galactic-emacs-pdumper-load-path)
  ;; When Emacs starts from dump file, some default modes are not
  ;; enabled
;;  (global-font-lock-mode)
;;  (transient-mark-mode))

(when (> emacs-major-version 23)
       (require 'package)
      (package-initialize)
      (add-to-list 'package-archives
                    '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/")
                     'APPEND))

;; Configure Emacs package manager. Not required anymore on Emacs > 27
(if (version< emacs-version "27")
					(package-initialize)  )
(require 'package)
(setq package-archives
      '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
        ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
        ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
       ; ("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
	))

;; Some combination of GNU TLS and Emacs fail to retrieve archive
;; contents over https.
;; https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/cdei4p/failed_to_download_gnu_archive_bad_request/etw48ux
;; https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34341
(if (and (version< emacs-version "26.3") (>= libgnutls-version 30600))
    (setq gnutls-algorithm-priority "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3"))

;; Enable packages signature verification only if GPG is installed
(setq package-check-signature (when (executable-find "gpg") 'allow-unsigned))

;; Change the below priorities if you prefer melpa-stable packages.
;; Higher is better.
(setq package-archive-priorities
      '(
	("melpa" .  4)
        ("melpa-stable" . 3)
        ("org" . 2)
        ("gnu" . 1)
	)
       )

;; Bootstrap `use-package'
(unless (package-installed-p 'use-package)
  (package-refresh-contents)
  (package-install 'use-package))
(eval-when-compile
  (require 'use-package))
(use-package use-package-ensure-system-package
  :ensure t)
(setq package-enable-at-startup nil)

;; addendum from scimax

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t)
(package-initialize)

(when (not package-archive-contents)
  (package-refresh-contents))
--
Joseph

* Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...
@ 2020-07-27 17:27     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-07-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 07:13:42PM +0200, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> Thanks  for your  help,  Tomas,  here is  the  beginning  of my  init.el
> (suggestions to improve it are of course welcome):

Caveat: as I said, I'm most probably not the right guy to answer that, but
hey.

[...]

> ;; Configure Emacs package manager. Not required anymore on Emacs > 27
> (if (version< emacs-version "27")
>                                         (package-initialize)  )
> (require 'package)
> (setq package-archives
>       '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
>         ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
>         ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
>        ; ("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
> 	))

This might be the relevant tidbit. But still, we don't know what version
your Emacs is, and thus whether this code is actually relevant or not.

What is the actual value of your variable `package-archives' in your
Emacs running instance? Try doing C-h v and then enter `package-archives'.

Are those sites reachable from your place? I.e. try something like

  curl -I https://stable.melpa.org/packages/

in a shell (likewise for the other URLs). For me, they are all four.
We still don't know whether those are the ones your Emacs is trying
to reach (and the hunch with networking is just that, a hunch).

Cheers
-- t

* Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...
@ 2020-07-27 18:00       ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2020-07-27 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi again,

Many thanks for your reply. Here are the details requested.

Le lun.  07/27/20 juil. 2020 à  07:27:42 , tomas@tuxteam.de a  envoyé ce
message:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 07:13:42PM +0200, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
>> Thanks  for your  help,  Tomas,  here is  the  beginning  of my  init.el
>> (suggestions to improve it are of course welcome):
>
> Caveat: as I said, I'm most probably not the right guy to answer that, but
> hey.
>
> [...]
>
>> ;; Configure Emacs package manager. Not required anymore on Emacs > 27
>> (if (version< emacs-version "27")
>>                                         (package-initialize)  )
>> (require 'package)
>> (setq package-archives
>>       '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
>>         ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
>>         ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
>>        ; ("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>> 	))
>
> This might be the relevant tidbit. But still, we don't know what version
> your Emacs is, and thus whether this code is actually relevant or not.

joseph@mx:~$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 26.1

> What is the actual value of your variable `package-archives' in your
> Emacs   running   instance?  Try   doing   C-h   v  and   then   enter
> `package-archives'.

package-archives’s value is
(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
 ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
 ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
 ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))
Original value was
(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/"))

  This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

Documentation:
An alist of archives from which to fetch.
The default value points to the GNU Emacs package repository.

Each element has the form (ID . LOCATION).
 ID is an archive name, as a string.
 LOCATION specifies the base location for the archive.
  If it starts with "http(s):", it is treated as an HTTP(S) URL;
  otherwise it should be an absolute directory name.
  (Other types of URL are currently not supported.)

Only add locations that you trust, since fetching and installing
a package can run arbitrary code.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 26.1 of Emacs.

> Are those sites reachable from your place? I.e. try something like
>
>   curl -I https://stable.melpa.org/packages/
> in a shell (likewise for the other URLs). For me, they are all four.
> We still don't know whether those are the ones your Emacs is trying
> to reach (and the hunch with networking is just that, a hunch).

joseph@mx:~$  curl -I https://stable.melpa.org/packages/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 17:58:28 GMT
Last-Modified: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:45:09 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
Vary: Accept-Encoding
ETag: "5c133555-132"
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=15768000
Accept-Ranges: bytes

> Cheers
> -- t

Thanks for your kind help !

Jo.

--
Joseph

* Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...
@ 2020-07-27 18:28         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-07-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 08:00:07PM +0200, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Many thanks for your reply. Here are the details requested.
>
> Le lun.  07/27/20 juil. 2020 à  07:27:42 , tomas@tuxteam.de a  envoyé ce
> message:
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 07:13:42PM +0200, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> >> Thanks  for your  help,  Tomas,  here is  the  beginning  of my  init.el
> >> (suggestions to improve it are of course welcome):
> >
> > Caveat: as I said, I'm most probably not the right guy to answer that, but
> > hey.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> ;; Configure Emacs package manager. Not required anymore on Emacs > 27
> >> (if (version< emacs-version "27")
> >>                                         (package-initialize)  )
> >> (require 'package)
> >> (setq package-archives
> >>       '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
> >>         ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
> >>         ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
> >>        ; ("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
> >> 	))
> >
> > This might be the relevant tidbit. But still, we don't know what version
> > your Emacs is, and thus whether this code is actually relevant or not.
>
> joseph@mx:~$ emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 26.1

OK. So this variable is being read, probably (since 26.1 < 27), but...

> > What is the actual value of your variable `package-archives' [...]

> > Emacs   running   instance?  Try   doing   C-h   v  and   then   enter
> > `package-archives'.
>
> package-archives’s value is
> (("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
>  ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
>  ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
>  ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))
> Original value was
> (("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/"))

[...]

...but the actual variable's value has been "augmented" by a
(second) entry for "melpa", mapping to "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/".

This one fails for me trying to resolve the name (host melpa.milkbox.net
is unknown to (at least my) DNS).

> > Are those sites reachable from your place? I.e. try something like

> joseph@mx:~$  curl -I https://stable.melpa.org/packages/
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK

[...]

Yes, this one works for me, too. But the milkbox one doesn't.
Now I have no idea what "update packages" will do in such a
case (and having two entries tagged with the same name looks
suspect too).

When you do the "describe variable" thing, there is a link in the
variable description "You can [customize] this variable" (actually
there are no square brackets there, it's my way to suggest that
this text looks different. Click on this link (or just put point
on it and hit ENTER) and you'll get a customization page. Try
to remove that milkbox entry.

Cheers
-- t

* Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...
@ 2020-07-27 19:06           ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2020-07-27 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Le lun.  07/27/20 juil. 2020 à  08:28:03 , tomas@tuxteam.de a  envoyé ce
message:
>  Try to remove that milkbox entry.
>
> Cheers
> -- t

I dit it immediately and it works now !

Many thanks Tomas ! You really just helped me very efficiently !

Best wishes,
--
Joseph

* Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...