From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: HTML export uses anchor ids which change on every export
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 16:56:22 +1000	[thread overview]

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On this, would you have any interested in going back to that thread
>>> about IDs generated based on the headings? IIRC it petered out more that
>>> reached a conclusion.
>>
>> I thought the conclusion was that if you wanted link stability, use
>> publish rather than export?
>
> No conclusion on the viability of my approach being modified a bit then
> integrated into Org.

Perhaps I misunderstood. My reading was that none of the proposed
approaches were complete enough (in the sense they either introduced
other issues or, while addressing some corner cases, made it much harder
to address others, broke or failed to cater for other workflows).

I was left with the general impression that solving this issue required
a significant amount of re-development and a far more sophisticated
approach for tracking, caching/memoizing IDs and attempting to address
the issues just by patching the existing code was only going to make
small improvements while complicating the existing code and making it
harder to maintain. In short, a significant re-design and
re-implementation effort rather than application of patches on the
existing code base is required and until someone can do this work, the
best approach was to use publish instead of export if link stability was
required.

--
Tim Cross