* [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-01  1:40 Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2021-10-01  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien, Timothy, et al,

Just now I found myself needing to look up the URL of the Org git repo,
and it seemed a bit harder than it ought to be.  It'd be nice if there
were a prominent "source code" link on the front page, but I remembered
that it was somewhere on the "Contribute" page, so I opened that.

When it loaded, I still overlooked the URL to the git repo.  I was
expecting to see some kind of "Source Code" header, or "git repo" link,
but instead the link is "The Org Codebase", and it's not under a header
or near any other text like "source code" or "git repo", so it seems
easy to overlook:

[-- Attachment #2: screenshot --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 181122 bytes --]

Other FOSS projects's sites seem to make their source code repo links
very prominent; could Org's web site do that too?  :)

Adam

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-01 15:01 ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-10-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Adam,

> Just now I found myself needing to look up the URL of the Org git repo,
> and it seemed a bit harder than it ought to be.  It’d be nice if there
> were a prominent “source code” link on the front page, but I remembered
> that it was somewhere on the “Contribute” page, so I opened that.

> When it loaded, I still overlooked the URL to the git repo.  I was
> expecting to see some kind of “Source Code” header, or “git repo” link,
> but instead the link is “The Org Codebase”, and it’s not under a header
> or near any other text like “source code” or “git repo”, so it seems
> easy to overlook:

Thanks for bringing this up. I agree that it should be more prominent. My
instinctual response is to change the text, add an icon, and bump the font size
up. Perhaps make it a /button link/ like “Tools that work with Org” on the
homepage. I’d be tempted to put it on the homepage, but I’m also wary of
clutter, and I’m hoping that the use of the common Git branch icon may clue devs
into thinking that the repository is linked/given on that page.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-02  5:01 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-10-02  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Adam,

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> Other FOSS projects's sites seem to make their source code repo links
> very prominent; could Org's web site do that too?  :)

Done, let me know if it's good enough.

I was missing this prominent link too!

Thanks for reporting this,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-02  5:49   ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-10-02  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

> Done, let me know if it’s good enough.

Just 2c from me, I’d be tempted to have put that on the contribute page ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-02  7:54   ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2021-10-02  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: orgmode list

Hi Bastien,

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 12:03 AM Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:
>
> > Other FOSS projects's sites seem to make their source code repo links
> > very prominent; could Org's web site do that too?  :)
>
> Done, let me know if it's good enough.
>
> I was missing this prominent link too!

Thanks, I think it's great having the git repo URL front-and-center on
the home page of FOSS projects.

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-02  7:58   ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2021-10-02  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: orgmode list

Hi Timothy,

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 10:10 AM Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> > Just now I found myself needing to look up the URL of the Org git repo,
> > and it seemed a bit harder than it ought to be.  It’d be nice if there
> > were a prominent “source code” link on the front page, but I remembered
> > that it was somewhere on the “Contribute” page, so I opened that.
>
> > When it loaded, I still overlooked the URL to the git repo.  I was
> > expecting to see some kind of “Source Code” header, or “git repo” link,
> > but instead the link is “The Org Codebase”, and it’s not under a header
> > or near any other text like “source code” or “git repo”, so it seems
> > easy to overlook:
>
> Thanks for bringing this up. I agree that it should be more prominent. My
> instinctual response is to change the text, add an icon, and bump the font size
> up. Perhaps make it a /button link/ like “Tools that work with Org” on the
> homepage. I’d be tempted to put it on the homepage, but I’m also wary of
> clutter, and I’m hoping that the use of the common Git branch icon may clue devs
> into thinking that the repository is linked/given on that page.
>
> Do you have any thoughts on that?

Maybe this is moot, since Bastien already added the link to the home
page, but anyway...

On the Contribute page, I'd be in favor of having some kind of
heading, like "Source Code," and listing the git URL in text for easy
copying (i.e. not hiding the URL behind a descriptive link).  It'd
also be good to have a clickable link to view the repo on Savannah.

Also, on that page, while I'm glad to have Bastien's sponsorship links
there, the "GitHub" link with the GitHub icon might be expected to be
a link to the git source code, because that's a common way to link to
a git repo on other projects' sites.  So it might be good to put them
under a heading, like "Sponsor Development".

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-02  8:11     ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-10-02  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: orgmode list

Hi Adam,

> Maybe this is moot, since Bastien already added the link to the home
> page, but anyway…
>
> On the Contribute page, I’d be in favor of having some kind of
> heading, like “Source Code,” and listing the git URL in text for easy
> copying (i.e. not hiding the URL behind a descriptive link).  It’d
> also be good to have a clickable link to view the repo on Savannah.
>
> Also, on that page, while I’m glad to have Bastien’s sponsorship links
> there, the “GitHub” link with the GitHub icon might be expected to be
> a link to the git source code, because that’s a common way to link to
> a git repo on other projects’ sites.  So it might be good to put them
> under a heading, like “Sponsor Development”.

I think a “Source Code” header could make sense, with a link to the cgit page,
git clone line, and maybe a sentence or on Savannah for the unfamiliar. Perhaps
we could like to the org-contrib and website repos as well there?

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-02 10:18       ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2021-10-02 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> I think a “Source Code” header could make sense, with a link to the cgit page,
> git clone line, and maybe a sentence or on Savannah for the unfamiliar. Perhaps
> we could like to the org-contrib and website repos as well there?

Sounds good to me.

* Re: [orgweb] Making the git repo URL more visible
@ 2021-10-02 10:33         ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-10-02 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode