From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: 8dcc <8dcc.git@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Customize list of blocks that use "\footnotemark" in `org-latex-footnote-reference'
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 10:18:40 +0000	[thread overview]

8dcc writes:

> I am exporting an Org file that contains a large verse block to
> LaTeX. This verse block contains footnotes, but they appear in the page
> where the LaTeX verse environment ends. I looked at the exported .tex
> file and I noticed that it was using "\footnotemark" and
> "\footnotetext[N]{...}", instead of "\footnote{...}".

Hello,

I seem to remember that the problem you describe goes back to how Org
understood the footnote text. When exporting to LaTeX, each line of a
footnote was understood as if it were a verse, and Org added \\ at the
end. Hence the use of \footnotemark and the
‘org-latex--delayed-footnotes-definitions’ function.

I agree that using \footnotemark can cause problems, especially on long
runs of verses. I think the solution here would be to use a function
similar to org-latex--delayed-footnotes-definitions, which would
preserve the content of the notes in a list, and format them as a
\footnote at the end, when the block has already been built in Latex.

The case of tables is different. In the longtable environment you can
use footnote without problems, except in the row-header. In other
environments it usually gives unexpected results, especially when tables
are used as float. In a float table, however, I would not use normal
footnotes via \footnotemark but the solution from the threeparttable package.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía