Wanrong Lin writes: > I would like to record down the time stamp when a TODO item changed its > state into some specific states (like "DELEGATED"), but I don't want to > be prompt with a window for notes. I like the idea. Here is a patch against latest org.el from git that implements something that might suits your needs. If you add "%!" to one of the heading in `org-log-note-headings' then Org doesn't pop up a new buffer, the log is filled automatically. (setq org-log-note-headings '((done . "CLOSING NOTE %t") (state . "State %-12s %t%!") (clock-out . "")))) Carsten, if you like it, I push it and update the manual accordingly.