* Effort Per Day
@ 2013-04-03 12:44 daya
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: daya @ 2013-04-03 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There are some tasks on which I would like spend a specified time of the day.  I
would like to set a per-day effort on these tasks.  The current effort system
seem to support effort per task, not effort per day.  What is the recommended
way of doing this?

- daya

* Re: Effort Per Day
@ 2013-04-04 10:00 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2013-04-04 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

daya <atapattud@gmail.com> writes:

> There are some tasks on which I would like spend a specified time of
> the day. I would like to set a per-day effort on these tasks. The
> current effort system seem to support effort per task, not effort per
> day. What is the recommended way of doing this?

What about something like:

*** TODO [#C] Read Mail/News
    :LOGBOOK:
[...]
    :END:
    <2013-04-03 Mi .+1d>
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:   0:45
    :LAST_REPEAT: [2013-04-02 Di 18:29]
    :END:

?

* Re: Effort Per Day
@ 2013-04-04 10:08 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-04 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

daya <atapattud@gmail.com> writes:

> There are some tasks on which I would like spend a specified time of the day.  I
> would like to set a per-day effort on these tasks.  The current effort system
> seem to support effort per task, not effort per day.  What is the recommended
> way of doing this?

Using a daily repeater for your task should be enough.

Also check `org-clock-mode-line-total' for more options.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Effort Per Day
@ 2013-04-07  0:16   ` Daya Atapattu
From: Daya Atapattu @ 2013-04-07  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you.  Appreciate your help.

- Daya

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 6:08 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> daya <atapattud@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > There are some tasks on which I would like spend a specified time of the
> day.  I
> > would like to set a per-day effort on these tasks.  The current effort
> system
> > seem to support effort per task, not effort per day.  What is the
> recommended
> > way of doing this?
>
> Using a daily repeater for your task should be enough.
>
> Also check `org-clock-mode-line-total' for more options.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: Effort Per Day
@ 2013-04-17 15:54 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-04-17 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

daya <atapattud@gmail.com> writes:

> There are some tasks on which I would like spend a specified time of the day.  I
> would like to set a per-day effort on these tasks.  The current effort system
> seem to support effort per task, not effort per day.  What is the recommended
> way of doing this?
>
> - daya

Hi daya,

For this I use a habit that tracks this work

* TODO Some project
** TODO Work on Some project at least 3 hours per day
   SCHEDULED: <2013-04-17 Wed .+1d/3d>
   :PROPERTIES:
   :STYLE: habit
   :LAST_REPEAT: [2013-04-16 Tue 17:00]
   :END:
** TODO Tasks one...

Near the end of the day I just do an agenda clock report (C-c a a R) and
see if Some project has the required amount of time on it or not.
If it does I mark the habit task complete.

For individual (non-project) tasks the habit is enough and I give it an
effort so the modeline shows time clocked so far today and the limit

* TODO Some task I need to do for an hour everyday
  SCHEDULED: <2013-04-17 Wed .+1d/3d>
  :PROPERTIES:
  :LAST_REPEAT: [2013-04-16 Tue 13:27]
  :Effort:   1:00