* [wip-cite-new] Where is the development branch ?
@ 2021-06-26  7:50 Emmanuel Charpentier
From: Emmanuel Charpentier @ 2021-06-26  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I wanted to test the (new|future) citation abilities of =Org= ; I
tested what is available in =citeproc-org= with the =org-ref} syntax
the latter supports.

However, I also wanted to test what is available with the "new" syntax
planned for introduction in =Org=. According to
https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-org#org-mode-citations-and-bibliography-using-the-wip-cite-syntax
, this is only available on  the  =wip-cite= development branch.

However, my freshly updated git clone
(of https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git ) doesn't have such a
branch.

Where should I get this code ?

Related question : is there an ETA of these new abilities in =Org= ?

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

* Re: [wip-cite-new] Where is the development branch ?
@ 2021-06-26  8:35 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-06-26  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Charpentier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Emmanuel Charpentier <emm.charpentier@free.fr> writes:

> I wanted to test the (new|future) citation abilities of =Org= ; I
> tested what is available in =citeproc-org= with the =org-ref} syntax
> the latter supports.
>
> However, I also wanted to test what is available with the "new" syntax
> planned for introduction in =Org=.

Great!

> According to
> https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-org#org-mode-citations-and-bibliography-using-the-wip-cite-syntax
> , this is only available on  the  =wip-cite= development branch.>
> However, my freshly updated git clone
> (of https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git ) doesn't have such a
> branch.

The branch is "wip-cite-new".

> Where should I get this code ?

For example, here:

         https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/wip-cite-new

> Related question : is there an ETA of these new abilities in =Org= ?

I would appreciate some alpha-testing first, but I would say the code is
already good enough for inclusion at this point. I.e., there are
a couple of points open for discussion, but no blocker.

Please let me know how it goes!

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [wip-cite-new] Where is the development branch ?
@ 2021-06-26 11:39   ` Emmanuel Charpentier
From: Emmanuel Charpentier @ 2021-06-26 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Le samedi 26 juin 2021 à 10:35 +0200, Nicolas Goaziou a écrit :

[ Snip... ]

> > Where should I get this code ?
>
> For example, here:
>
>          https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/wip-cite-new

Thank you very much !

Is there a similar repository for the futire org-contrib package ? I
depend very much o some libraries currently in (or using) org-plus-
contrib...

[ Re-snip.. ]

> Please let me know how it goes!

I will certainly do : citations andcross-reference are crucuial
features of academic/scientific writing, which is the whole point of my
use of org-mode...

Sincerely yours,

--

@ 2021-06-28 11:06   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-28 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emmanuel Charpentier, emacs-orgmode

On Saturday, 26 Jun 2021 at 10:35, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Emmanuel Charpentier <emm.charpentier@free.fr> writes:
>> Related question : is there an ETA of these new abilities in =Org= ?
>
> I would appreciate some alpha-testing first, but I would say the code is
> already good enough for inclusion at this point. I.e., there are
> a couple of points open for discussion, but no blocker.

As a data point, I can say that I have been using the cite branch for
writing a couple of documents the past week or two, documents that had
to be exported to ODT (yech) and needed citations.  It seems to be
working well.  Thank you!

It would be nice to have this merged with master so that I can have the
rest of my workflow at hand; e.g. I have ivy-bibtex inserting links to
citations automatically but I have to change the format of what it
inserts depending on which version of org I am using...

Thank you,
eric

PS -I still do not understand why the syntax is not [[cite:...]] (which
is what I use in master).  But I don't want to re-open the
discussion. ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-571-gc591be
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* Re: [wip-cite-new] Where is the development branch ?
@ 2021-06-28 12:09     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-28 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List; +Cc: Emmanuel Charpentier, Nicolas Goaziou

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 7:07 AM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> It would be nice to have this merged with master so that I can have the
> rest of my workflow at hand; e.g. I have ivy-bibtex inserting links to
> citations automatically but I have to change the format of what it
> inserts depending on which version of org I am using...

FWIW, I added a function to format org-cite here, which you can use
with ivy-bibtex also.

https://github.com/bdarcus/bibtex-actions/blob/main/bibtex-actions.el#L200

There were a few UI decisions I made that will need real world testing
to see if they were right.

Bruce

* Re: [wip-cite-new] Where is the development branch ?
@ 2021-06-28 12:22       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-28 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: Emmanuel Charpentier, Org Mode List, Nicolas Goaziou

On Monday, 28 Jun 2021 at 08:09, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> FWIW, I added a function to format org-cite here, which you can use
> with ivy-bibtex also.

Thank you.  Very comprehensive.  Mine is much simpler!  But I have two
versions, one for the master branch and one for the wip-cite-new branch
and I have to keep re-evaluating the code when I switch org branches
which is why I'm keen to have the branches merged. ;-)

--

@ 2021-06-28 12:26         ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-28 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List; +Cc: Emmanuel Charpentier, Nicolas Goaziou

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 8:22 AM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Monday, 28 Jun 2021 at 08:09, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> > FWIW, I added a function to format org-cite here, which you can use
> > with ivy-bibtex also.
>
> Thank you.  Very comprehensive.  Mine is much simpler!  But I have two
> versions, one for the master branch and one for the wip-cite-new branch
> and I have to keep re-evaluating the code when I switch org branches
> which is why I'm keen to have the branches merged. ;-)

Oh, for sure; I agree it'd be good to get this merged for those of us
that need to get academic work done now!

Bruce

* Re: [wip-cite-new] Where is the development branch ?
@ 2021-06-28 12:56           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-28 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: Emmanuel Charpentier, Org Mode List, Nicolas Goaziou

On Monday, 28 Jun 2021 at 08:26, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Oh, for sure; I agree it'd be good to get this merged for those of us
> that need to get academic work done now!

Especially now that (at least for me) all teaching activities are mostly
over and done with and I can concentrate on my research. :-)