* how to use complex excel formula in org
@ 2021-07-01 16:28 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-07-01 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I currently have to collaborate with an excel file that contains quite a
bit of complex formula. I cannot simply import the file via
xlsx-->csv-->org

Since csv does no know about excel formulas.

Does anybody know about a tool a trick to use that excel formula.

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: how to use complex excel formula in org
@ 2021-07-01 17:02 ` Jonathan McHugh
From: Jonathan McHugh @ 2021-07-01 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

Just an idea (especially given I havent touched Excel formulae for a v. long time):
Have you considered using (G)awk?

It could be possible to build up a list of arrays containing data and formulae and then perform as result in the end block.

It could get onerous to do and may be hackish/bespoke but Awk can be quite satisfying a tool.

Im sure somebody is sitting on a more correct approach however.

====================
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels

@ 2021-07-02  8:15 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-07-02  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday,  1 Jul 2021 at 18:28, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I currently have to collaborate with an excel file that contains quite a
> bit of complex formula.

Do you need bi-directional collaboration?  If you do, I doubt there's a
solution out there.  Collaboration with people using MS based tools is
challenging (being polite here).

> I cannot simply import the file via xlsx-->csv-->org

xlsx is XML based so you could, in principle, read the information
directly from the xl/worksheets/sheetN.xml component in the file (the
xlsx file itself should be a zip archive).  The format will consist of
entries such as

where FF would be the formula (and XX the value of that formula) for
entry in A1.  Lots of detail omitted in the above, mind you.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-577-gf76d4d
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* Re: how to use complex excel formula in org
@ 2021-07-02  8:40   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-07-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode