* Stable 9.5: invalid function (date date)
@ 2021-10-02  6:51 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2021-10-02  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

I just installed (stable) 9.5. from GNU ELPA, and tried to see what my
agenda for today looks like. The agenda is empty, and I got error

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (date date))

with backtrace

  (date date)()
  org-agenda-get-day-entries("/home/jarmo/projects/gtd/faq.org" (10 2 2021) :deadline :scheduled :timestamp :sexp)
  apply(org-agenda-get-day-entries "/home/jarmo/projects/gtd/faq.org" (10 2 2021) (:deadline :scheduled :timestamp :sexp))
  org-agenda-list(nil)
  funcall-interactively(org-agenda-list nil)
  call-interactively(org-agenda-list)
  org-agenda(nil)
  funcall-interactively(org-agenda nil)
  call-interactively(org-agenda nil nil)
  command-execute(org-agenda)

Any ideas?

I am running

(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-08-07"

in

Linux fedora 5.14.9-200.fc34.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Sep 30 11:55:35 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Have fun and stay safe.

Jarmo

* Re: Stable 9.5: invalid function (date date)
@ 2021-10-02  7:23 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-10-02  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> Greetings.
>
> I just installed (stable) 9.5. from GNU ELPA, and tried to see what my
> agenda for today looks like. The agenda is empty, and I got error
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (date date))
>
> with backtrace
>
>   (date date)()
>   org-agenda-get-day-entries("/home/jarmo/projects/gtd/faq.org" (10 2 2021) :deadline :scheduled :timestamp :sexp)

Looks like garbled installation.  Can you try to re-install Org?

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Stable 9.5: invalid function (date date)
@ 2021-10-03  3:34   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2021-10-03  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:
>
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I just installed (stable) 9.5. from GNU ELPA, and tried to see what my
>> agenda for today looks like. The agenda is empty, and I got error
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (date date))
>>
>> with backtrace
>>
>>   (date date)()
>>   org-agenda-get-day-entries("/home/jarmo/projects/gtd/faq.org" (10
>> 2 2021) :deadline :scheduled :timestamp :sexp)
>
> Looks like garbled installation.  Can you try to re-install Org?

Hello Ihor.

This morning the install instructions on orgmode.org had changed from
yesterday: they now pointed to the manual, which contains the text

Important: You need to do this in a session where no ‘.org’ file has
been visited, i.e., where no Org built-in function have been
loaded. Otherwise autoload Org functions will mess up the installation.

I reinstalled from "emacs -q", and my error disappeared. So thank you
very much.

@ 2021-11-25  9:53     ` Tim Loderhose
From: Tim Loderhose @ 2021-11-25  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am also getting this error. It's fixable only by re-installing org from a
emacs -q, I assumed because files on the agenda file list are visited
before org is fully installed?
Unfortunately, this also occurs with a fresh install of Emacs
(re-installing all packages), but I'm not sure why. I'd assumed it's
because of the agenda file list, but that doesn't exist at that point.
I will try these days to get a minimal config to reproduce the issue, and
will respond again.

Best,
Tim

@ 2021-11-25 10:10       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-25 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Loderhose; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

Tim Loderhose <tim.loderhose@mlprograms.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am also getting this error. It's fixable only by re-installing org from a
> emacs -q, I assumed because files on the agenda file list are visited
> before org is fully installed?
> Unfortunately, this also occurs with a fresh install of Emacs
> (re-installing all packages), but I'm not sure why. I'd assumed it's
> because of the agenda file list, but that doesn't exist at that point.
> I will try these days to get a minimal config to reproduce the issue, and
> will respond again.

This is a known problem for users loading Org early in their config and
using non-standard package managers (like straight.el). See
https://list.orgmode.org/m25ytopjg9.fsf@blind-drunk.fritz.box/

In the linked thread we are also discussing some ways to address this on
Org side, but no good solution yet. Patches are welcome.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Stable 9.5: invalid function (date date)
@ 2021-11-29 12:52         ` Tim Loderhose
From: Tim Loderhose @ 2021-11-29 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

I refactored my emacs config and it appears like the problem is gone now.
(I was just using use-package, but there may have been some bit loading org
early)

Thanks for the pointer in any case!
Best,
Tim

@ 2021-11-30 20:18         ` Simon Butler
From: Simon Butler @ 2021-11-30 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Tim Loderhose <tim.loderhose@mlprograms.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am also getting this error. It's fixable only by re-installing org from a
>> emacs -q, I assumed because files on the agenda file list are visited
>> before org is fully installed?
>> Unfortunately, this also occurs with a fresh install of Emacs
>> (re-installing all packages), but I'm not sure why. I'd assumed it's
>> because of the agenda file list, but that doesn't exist at that point.
>> I will try these days to get a minimal config to reproduce the issue, and
>> will respond again.
>
> This is a known problem for users loading Org early in their config and
> using non-standard package managers (like straight.el). See
> https://list.orgmode.org/m25ytopjg9.fsf@blind-drunk.fritz.box/
>
> In the linked thread we are also discussing some ways to address this on
> Org side, but no good solution yet. Patches are welcome.

What follows seems a little silly to me, but maybe it points to a clear
reason for someone with greater knowledge.

I've just updated two computers from org 9.4.4 to 9.5.1. Both are
running fedora 35 with emacs 27.2

One of the installations had this problem. There are minor differences
in the .emacs files between the two installations in terms of packages and the
order in which they appear in the file. I also use use-package.

seeing the above advice I revised the order of packages on the machine
with the problem so they were close to the order on the other machine -
mostly before (use-package org ...). Restarted emacs, and the problem was
still present.

I had noticed that the statement

(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

appeared in both .emacs files, early in one and towards the end of the
on where the (date date) was seen after M-x org-agenda

after moving (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) to before the first use of
use-package the problem is gone

best
Simon