Dear all, When the user wants to add a new column (or edit an existing one), he executes the command `org-columns-new'. Then he can enter or select a few 'column attributes' (see in manual https://orgmode.org/org.html#Column-attributes-1). One of the attributes is "SUMMARY-TYPE". This attribute can be selected from the list of very enigmatic symbols such as "+", "$", "X" which do not convey any information to the user. So, I have prepared a solution that will address this issue. For each symbol, the 'docstring' of the function assigned to that symbol will be displayed. For example: "+ -- Compute the sum of VALUES." "$ -- Compute the sum of VALUES, with two decimals." What do you think about this solution? I also included a question in the commit message regarding the function `org-columns--first-line-docstring' that I created. Patch below: