* installing updating Org on other platform
@ 2010-07-15 19:32 Adam
From: Adam @ 2010-07-15 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

If anyone is using Org-mode with Gnu Emacs on Win XP, then I would be grateful
for their comments.

Have just updated to Org version 6.36c.    While Org appears to work normally,
and version 6.36c is reported evaluating  org-version     And the recent
Footnotes sorting feature works. But I fear the update or installation is
somehow not proper.

My only suspicions for this are;  that publishing to HTML seems problematic,
and that there are no  .elc  files appearing where the org.el files are
located.

To install, I downloaded the 6.36c zip, and copied all and only the
/lisp/*.el  files into the folder ~/Emacs/Lisp/org.

I notice that in  .emacs  the entry
(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/lisp/org")

or as I first had it,
(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/org-6.36c")

neither have any effect.   It seems Emacs will find Org in ~/emacs/lisp/org no
matter what.  Only  (require 'org)  is present in my  .emacs  and then
some Org settings.

Any comments appreciated.

* Re: installing updating Org on other platform
@ 2010-07-15 20:16 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-07-15 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

I'm not on Win XP, but just wanted to ask for clarification as it might help
others help you...

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Adam <ahcnz@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> To install, I downloaded the 6.36c zip, and copied all and only the
> /lisp/*.el  files into the folder ~/Emacs/Lisp/org.

Can you define what ~ stands for above? For example:
- Linux typically = /home/username/
- Mac typically = /Users/username/
- Win = ???
--- Doing a 'dir ~' from the prompt yielded 'Volume in drive C has no label'
or cd ~ yields 'The system cannot find the path specified'

> I notice that in  .emacs  the entry
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/lisp/org")
>
> or as I first had it,
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/org-6.36c")
>
> neither have any effect.   It seems Emacs will find Org in ~/emacs/lisp/org
> no
> matter what.  Only  (require 'org)  is present in my  .emacs  and then
> some Org settings.

This might be extremely minute, but the GNU Emacs FAQ includes a trailing
slash in the instructions on how to add directories to one's load path via
.emacs [1]:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/dir/subdir/")

Not sure if that will help you at all. Primarily I'd focus on making sure
../emacs/org[-6.36c] is where you think it is? Not to come across as
insulting... just never hurts to be sure!

[1] See 5.17 here: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html

@ 2010-07-16  5:44   ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2010-07-16  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, John.

> I'm not on Win XP, but just wanted to ask for clarification as it might
> help others help you...
>
> > To install, I downloaded the 6.36c zip, and copied all and only the
> > /lisp/*.el  files into the folder ~/Emacs/Lisp/org.

I copied all the contents of the archive   org-6.36c/lisp/   directory, into
C:/emacs/lisp/org/

> > I notice that in  .emacs  the entry
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/lisp/org")
> >
> > or as I first had it,
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/org-6.36c")
> >
> > neither have any effect.   It seems Emacs will find Org in
> > ~/emacs/lisp/org no
> > matter what.  Only  (require 'org)  is present in my  .emacs  and then
> > some Org settings.
>
> This might be extremely minute, but the GNU Emacs FAQ includes a trailing
> slash in the instructions on how to add directories to one's load path via
> .emacs [1]:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/dir/subdir/")

Above is inaccurate, the  .emacs  load-path directories DO have the
trailing slash.

> Not sure if that will help you at all. Primarily I'd focus on making sure
> ../emacs/org[-6.36c] is where you think it is? Not to come across as
> insulting... just never hurts to be sure!
>
> [1] See 5.17 here: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html

Thanks , will re-read the FAQ.  Although it doesn't seem to refer to
installing or updating packages with Emacs, Like Org or Remember etc.

As I say, Emacs seems to find the Org 6.35c  components in
C:/emacs/lisp/org/    It hasn't however ever generated  .elc  files
from them - and I think that may be wrong, but don't know.

* Re: installing updating Org on other platform
@ 2010-07-16  6:18 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-16  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Adam <ahcnz@ihug.co.nz> writes:

> If anyone is using Org-mode with Gnu Emacs on Win XP, then I would be grateful
> for their comments.
>
> Have just updated to Org version 6.36c.    While Org appears to work normally,
> and version 6.36c is reported evaluating  org-version     And the recent
> Footnotes sorting feature works. But I fear the update or installation is
> somehow not proper.
>
> My only suspicions for this are;  that publishing to HTML seems problematic,
> and that there are no  .elc  files appearing where the org.el files are
> located.
>
> To install, I downloaded the 6.36c zip, and copied all and only the
> /lisp/*.el  files into the folder ~/Emacs/Lisp/org.
>
> I notice that in  .emacs  the entry
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/lisp/org")
>
> or as I first had it,
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/org-6.36c")
>
> neither have any effect.   It seems Emacs will find Org in ~/emacs/lisp/org no
> matter what.  Only  (require 'org)  is present in my  .emacs  and then
> some Org settings.
>
> Any comments appreciated.

Hi Adam,

At work I run org-mode from a git repository on Windows XP.  I never
compile my org-mode files anymore.

My git repository lives in ~/git/org-mode/ with the .el files in
~/git/org-mode/lisp

I have the following setup in my ~/.emacs

,----[ .emacs ]
| (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/git/org-mode/lisp"))
| (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\|txt\\)$" . org-mode))
| (require 'org-install)
`----

Make sure your org-mode files are found first in your load-path so that
you load the version you want and not some other version provided by
Emacs.  Your load-path should point to the directory your .el files are
in.

I would just unzip the entire 6.36c zip file without moving anything
from their default locations and point your load-path at the lisp
subdirectory.

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.630.gbca27)

HTH,
Bernt