* Fixed vs variable pitch font [legibility 4/6]
@ 2020-02-04  4:09 Texas Cyberthal
From: Texas Cyberthal @ 2020-02-04  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Readable prose requires variable-pitch font. Readable code requires
fixed-pitch font. Org should make it easy to configure the two
separately.

mixed-pitch-mode mostly solves this problem, but only advanced users
know about it.
https://gitlab.com/jabranham/mixed-pitch

* Re: Fixed vs variable pitch font [legibility 4/6]
@ 2020-02-04  7:27 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2020-02-04  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Texas Cyberthal <texas.cyberthal@gmail.com> writes:

> Readable prose requires variable-pitch font. Readable code requires
> fixed-pitch font. Org should make it easy to configure the two
> separately.
>
> mixed-pitch-mode mostly solves this problem, but only advanced users
> know about it.
> https://gitlab.com/jabranham/mixed-pitch

I also prefer proportional fonts for prose in Org buffers, and I
configured my face settings accordingly a long time ago.

However, it is not necessarily so that proportional fonts are required
for prose.  Great works have been written on typewriters for many
years.  As well, Emacs/Org are not necessarily aimed at prose writing
more than other uses, and changing the default would probably be
off-putting to many existing users, so the default probably should not
be changed.

Having said that, if Org could have a simple org-mixed-pitch-mode, or
something like that, that could be very helpful, since it could make
such configuration much easier.  Maybe one could be written to use
face-remapping, which shouldn't take much code.

* Re: Fixed vs variable pitch font [legibility 4/6]
@ 2020-02-10  7:06   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-10  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> Having said that, if Org could have a simple org-mixed-pitch-mode, or
> something like that, that could be very helpful, since it could make
> such configuration much easier.

If anyone wants to start coding something like this, we can consider
referencing it on Worg.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Fixed vs variable pitch font [legibility 4/6]
@ 2020-02-10 20:54     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-02-10 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Adam Porter, emacs-orgmode

i think this is a really good idea.

there are subtleties including:

  - list bullets (fixed is good for aligning succeeding lines)
  - timestamps (many align these informally or in headers)
  - numbers (many align these informally -- but .,-+'?)
  - todo kw (defined by user, would be fantastic to be variable, but
some users do such things as making them be 4 characters and aligning
them in sibling headers; i think the org main page does this)
  - table subtleties
  - agenda subject lines (requires a change in org itself that makes
headers and tags individually definable faces so rhs is by default
variable but settable not to be, perhaps as part of a change making
columns in agenda individually definable for non-pitch reasons)

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: Fixed vs variable pitch font [legibility 4/6]
       [not found] <mailman.58.1581354012.25769.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2020-02-11  7:12 ` Texas Cyberthal
From: Texas Cyberthal @ 2020-02-11  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

#+begin_quote Bastien
> Having said that, if Org could have a simple org-mixed-pitch-mode, or
> something like that, that could be very helpful, since it could make
> such configuration much easier.

If anyone wants to start coding something like this, we can consider
referencing it on Worg.
#+end_quote

Why does there need to be an Org version of mixed-pitch-mode? It
already works for Org.

@ 2020-02-11  7:53   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-11  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Texas Cyberthal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Texas,

Texas Cyberthal <texas.cyberthal@gmail.com> writes:

> Why does there need to be an Org version of mixed-pitch-mode? It
> already works for Org.

Yes, indeed.

PS: Speaking of good defaults, I think quoting emails with ">"
instead of #+begin_quote is way more readable.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Fixed vs variable pitch font [legibility 4/6]
@ 2020-02-11  8:18     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2020-02-11  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 11 2020, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Texas,
>
> Texas Cyberthal <texas.cyberthal@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Why does there need to be an Org version of mixed-pitch-mode?
>> It
>> already works for Org.
>
> Yes, indeed.

Besides, there's also `org-variable-pitch`, available on Melpa.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments