On 2021-02-13, Timothy wrote: > Jens Lechtenboerger writes: > >> On 2021-02-12, Jens Lechtenboerger wrote: >> >>> I do not know why the CDATA lines exist. I don’t see a reason to >>> keep them (patch 0001), but that might be a lack of understanding on >>> my part. >> >> OK, that is probably for XHTML, where < and & are only allowed >> inside CDATA sections. >> >> Timothy, did you try to validate XHTML output? > > If you look at the commit message for 001, you can see the following: > >> remove CDATA strings, as they are now >> considered obsolete --- see >> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CDATASection#specifications > > Does that page clear things up for you? No, sorry, I don’t get it. I see: “Re-added in issue #295 due to web breakage” > I did a bit more googling and found > https://dev.w3.org/html5/html-polyglot/html-polyglot.html#bib-HTML5 > which mentions CDATA: > >> The CDATA code is then seen as text by the HTML parser (and can thus >> interfere with the scripting or styling language!), while the XML >> parser sees the content as text without markup semantics. > > In other words, CDATA allows you to keep XML comparability, Exactly. In fact, the “&” in the magnet URI should be “&” or it might be placed into the CDATA section. > but now breaks strict HTML comparability. What do you mean? If I use html5 as HTML_DOCTYPE, the validator at https://validator.w3.org/nu/ does not complain. Best wishes Jens