* [BUG] wrapping links
@ 2022-07-04  0:48 Tor Kringeland
From: Tor Kringeland @ 2022-07-04  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

When a link goes over a (real) line wrap for indented lines, the leading
spaces get formatted as part of the link and this looks ugly.

#+begin_example
- [[this link looks
  ugly]]
#+end_example

It would be nice to at least have an option to disable formatting of the
leading (and trailing) spaces.  (Now I just try to keep all of the link
on one line, but this does not work well with `fill-paragraph'.)

* Re: [BUG] wrapping links
@ 2022-07-04  1:11 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-07-04  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> When a link goes over a (real) line wrap for indented lines, the leading
> spaces get formatted as part of the link and this looks ugly.
>
> #+begin_example
> - [[this link looks
>   ugly]]
> #+end_example
>
> It would be nice to at least have an option to disable formatting of the
> leading (and trailing) spaces.  (Now I just try to keep all of the link
> on one line, but this does not work well with `fill-paragraph'.)

Could you please elaborate?
The above link (if changed to more correct [[https://orgmode.org][this
link looks ugly]] will be exported without the newlines and extra
spaces.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [BUG] wrapping links
@ 2022-07-04 14:03   ` Tor Kringeland
From: Tor Kringeland @ 2022-07-04 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Could you please elaborate?
> The above link (if changed to more correct [[https://orgmode.org][this
> link looks ugly]] will be exported without the newlines and extra
> spaces.

Yes.  I don't mean in export, but in org-mode itself.  Since the second
line in the example starts with leading spaces, those spaces will be
formatted as part of the link (with a blue nuderline).  So Org correctly
recognizes multi-line links, it's just that the formatting in this case
is ugly.

#+begin_example
- [[https://orgmode.org][this
  link looks ugly]]
#+end_example

The same happens with underline formatting.  With bold or italic
formatting it does not happen because no visible change to spaces is
made.  For example

#+begin_example
  _formatting continues into the
  second line_
#+end_example

looks ugly as well.  Both because the leading spaces on the second line
are formatted and (arguably) because the newline at the end of the first
line is formatted as an underline as well (like a space).