* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
@ 2008-02-13 20:46 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-02-13 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Why not use the existing Latex export to make a PDF presentation?

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 09:42:51PM +0000, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Wouldn't it be great to create a presentation in emacs; at
> least the first outlining? Right now, when starting a new
> presentation I write  my ideas and outline in orgmode, but
> switch to impress pretty soon and have to write most of it
> new; I am not able to transform the linked pictures or
> transform table easy enough...
>
> In org I could create some presentation.org file, where the
> every top level entry defines the cover page of the impress
> presentation. The second levels would belong to the tites of
> the following slides. A first simple setup could be, to
> devide the presentation slide into 5 zones (1 title and 4
> equally sized boxes below the title); so the four third
> levels handle these areas in impress, where you can place
> lists, linked images,  equations, a table or some symbols,
> etc.. E.g. two linked images in the same third level would
> just place two images in that area . At the end you would
> adjust your pages in impress with some more details...
>
> So, what do you think about an org 2 openoffice impress
> converter...? The exporting process is probably pretty
> similar to the html-exporting procedure!?
>
> Fabian

* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
@ 2008-02-13 20:53 ` Bastien Guerry
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-13 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Fabian,

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> Wouldn't it be great to create a presentation in emacs; at least the first
> outlining?

Sounds nice.

> So, what do you think about an org 2 openoffice impress converter...?
> The exporting process is probably pretty similar to the html-exporting
> procedure!?

I think you might be interested in the S5 Slide Show system:

  http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

  S5 is a slide show format based entirely on XHTML, CSS, and
  JavaScript. With one file, you can run a complete slide show and have
  a printer-friendly version as well. The markup used for the slides is
  very simple, highly semantic, and completely accessible. Anyone with
  even a smidgen of familiarity with HTML or XHTML can look at the
  markup and figure out how to adapt it to their particular
  needs. Anyone familiar with CSS can create their own slide show
  theme. It's totally simple, and it's totally standards-driven.

See the quite impressive demonstration here:

  http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/s5-intro.html

I think it would be *much* easier to go that way, since the export
format will just be a subset of HTML.  Unless someone points to a very
simplistic example of ooimpress format, I'd rather not mix up with this.

Of course this rely on the yes-coming-soon! brand new exporter.
I will work on it this WE, maybe something good will come from this.

Play with S5 and let me know if you'd find it useful to have a S5
exporter in Org.

--
Bastien

* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
@ 2008-02-13 20:55   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-13 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> Why not use the existing Latex export to make a PDF presentation?

Yes, that's another way.  Or maybe we could have a prosper exporter.
Again, the plan is to make the exporter modular so that people can write
extensions.

--
Bastien

* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
@ 2008-02-13 21:10   ` Russell Adams
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-02-13 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Funny thing is I wrote a shell script ages ago that turned emacs
outlines into an html presentation. ;]

I knew this would come up eventually.

I'm trying to make good use of the latex exporter, and I'll focus on
trying it there.

@ 2008-02-13 21:42 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-02-13 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2008-02-13 22:46   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-02-13 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Bastien Guerry schrieb am 02/13/2008 08:53 PM:
> Hi Fabian,
>
> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Wouldn't it be great to create a presentation in emacs; at least the first
>> outlining?
>
> Sounds nice.
>
>> So, what do you think about an org 2 openoffice impress converter...?
>> The exporting process is probably pretty similar to the html-exporting
>> procedure!?
>
> I think you might be interested in the S5 Slide Show system:
>
>   http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/
>
>   S5 is a slide show format based entirely on XHTML, CSS, and
>   JavaScript. With one file, you can run a complete slide show and have
>   a printer-friendly version as well. The markup used for the slides is
>   very simple, highly semantic, and completely accessible. Anyone with
>   even a smidgen of familiarity with HTML or XHTML can look at the
>   markup and figure out how to adapt it to their particular
>   needs. Anyone familiar with CSS can create their own slide show
>   theme. It's totally simple, and it's totally standards-driven.
>
> See the quite impressive demonstration here:
>
>   http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/s5-intro.html

This is realy impressive...

> I think it would be *much* easier to go that way, since the export
> format will just be a subset of HTML.  Unless someone points to a very
> simplistic example of ooimpress format, I'd rather not mix up with this.
>
> Of course this rely on the yes-coming-soon! brand new exporter.
> I will work on it this WE, maybe something good will come from this.
>
> Play with S5 and let me know if you'd find it useful to have a S5
> exporter in Org.

I will take a closer look in the next days. The advantage of
an impress/openoffice converter would be, as I see it right
now, that you are able to adjust your drawings, tables an
pictures like before in impress. If every slides looks the
same, then you won't need impress anymore, but you might
want to add on one slide some kind of symbol, enlarge the
picture for better fitting and stuff like this. If you don't
need to adjust anything anymore by an visual interface, than
you could use the latex-beamer package as well (or prosper).
And sometimes you just want to put several different sized
images onto one slide, which are set on the final position
much faster using an visual interface, than some kind of
size-variable!?

Fabian

* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
@ 2008-02-14 10:27   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2008-02-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien Guerry wrote:
> Hi Fabian,
>
> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Wouldn't it be great to create a presentation in emacs; at least the first
>> outlining?
>
> Sounds nice.
>
>> So, what do you think about an org 2 openoffice impress converter...?
>> The exporting process is probably pretty similar to the html-exporting
>> procedure!?
>
> I think you might be interested in the S5 Slide Show system:
>
>   http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/
>
>   S5 is a slide show format based entirely on XHTML, CSS, and
>   JavaScript. With one file, you can run a complete slide show and have
>   a printer-friendly version as well. The markup used for the slides is
>   very simple, highly semantic, and completely accessible. Anyone with
>   even a smidgen of familiarity with HTML or XHTML can look at the
>   markup and figure out how to adapt it to their particular
>   needs. Anyone familiar with CSS can create their own slide show
>   theme. It's totally simple, and it's totally standards-driven.
>
> See the quite impressive demonstration here:
>
>   http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/s5-intro.html
>
> I think it would be *much* easier to go that way, since the export
> format will just be a subset of HTML.  Unless someone points to a very
> simplistic example of ooimpress format, I'd rather not mix up with this.
>
> Of course this rely on the yes-coming-soon! brand new exporter.
> I will work on it this WE, maybe something good will come from this.
>
> Play with S5 and let me know if you'd find it useful to have a S5
> exporter in Org.

S5 has always appealed to me, so I think this is an excellent idea, and
certainly a feature I could see people using.

R.

* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-14 13:33   ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-02-14 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Of course this rely on the yes-coming-soon! brand new exporter.  I
> will work on it this WE, maybe something good will come from this.

Have you actually started this? If so is there anyway you could share it
with us in a branch?

I actually have a branch called org-exporter with nothing but useless
snippets in it, which I would push but I don't understand git enough to
know what would happen when I try :)

I was heading towards a call-back system where a plugin author would
define a var like:

  '((headline . my-handle-headline-defun)
    (...      . ....))

Then my-handle-headline-defun would get an object which looks like this:

 ((outline-level  . 1)
  (todo-keyword   . "TODO")
  (priority       . "A")
  (perc-completed . "30")
  (headline       . "blah"))

Is that similar to what you (and anyone else interested) was thinking?
Has there already been a discussion about the design?

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
@ 2008-02-14 13:50     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-14 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Phil,

Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> writes:

> Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Of course this rely on the yes-coming-soon! brand new exporter.  I
>> will work on it this WE, maybe something good will come from this.
>
> Have you actually started this? If so is there anyway you could share it
> with us in a branch?

I have some experimental code, but nothing mature enough that would be
useful to share.  I plan to work on this this we, and I will put a file
called `org-export.el' in the git repository sunday night, so you can
look at it.

> Is that similar to what you (and anyone else interested) was thinking?
> Has there already been a discussion about the design?

I have plans for a quite detailed implementation, and have been sharing
some thoughts with Carsten already.

Do you mind if I only give you the details when I can show some code?
In any case, I'd glad to work on this with you!

Looking forward,

--
Bastien

* Re: org 2 openoffice impress converter
@ 2008-02-17 17:30     ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-02-17 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:27:27AM +0000, Rick Moynihan wrote:
> Bastien Guerry wrote:
> >I think you might be interested in the S5 Slide Show system:
> >
> >  http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/
> >
> >  S5 is a slide show format based entirely on XHTML, CSS, and
> >  JavaScript. With one file, you can run a complete slide show and have
> >  a printer-friendly version as well. The markup used for the slides is
> >  very simple, highly semantic, and completely accessible. Anyone with
> >  even a smidgen of familiarity with HTML or XHTML can look at the
> >  markup and figure out how to adapt it to their particular
> >  needs. Anyone familiar with CSS can create their own slide show
> >  theme. It's totally simple, and it's totally standards-driven.
> >
> >See the quite impressive demonstration here:
> >
> >  http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/s5-intro.html
> >
> >I think it would be *much* easier to go that way, since the export
> >format will just be a subset of HTML.  Unless someone points to a very
> >simplistic example of ooimpress format, I'd rather not mix up with this.
> >
> >Of course this rely on the yes-coming-soon! brand new exporter.
> >I will work on it this WE, maybe something good will come from this.
> >
> >Play with S5 and let me know if you'd find it useful to have a S5
> >exporter in Org.
>
> S5 has always appealed to me, so I think this is an excellent idea, and
> certainly a feature I could see people using.

On page 4 of that demonstration it says that "S5 can also run slide
shows based on XOXO" - could this be the missing link to org?!