* Difference between subtree-restricted export and 'publish enclosing subtree'
@ 2011-04-08 10:36 Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2011-04-08 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I noticed the "publish enclosing subtree" command in the export
dispatcher today and I can't make it work, nor can I see how it differs
From publishing a subtree (and needless to say I can't seem to find any
documentation).

This is a section of my .org file:

,----
| * STARTED Hume Essay #2: Causation
| DEADLINE: <2011-04-19 Tue>
| [2011-03-14 Mon 16:04]
| [[gnus:nnimap%2BNucifera:INBOX#2E7232813422F0459DA862F6653E33202483027005@EXMBX06.ad.oak.ox.ac.uk][Reading list]]
|
| *Does Hume think that causal power is all in the mind?*
| ** TODO Essay
| :PROPERTIES:
| :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: hume-essay-causation
| :EXPORT_AUTHOR: Sean Whitton, Balliol
| :EXPORT_DATE: April 2011
| :EXPORT_TITLE: Does Hume think that causal power is all in the mind?
| :EXPORT_OPTIONS: todo:nil toc:nil skip:t
| :LaTeX_CLASS: spwessay
| :END:
| ***
| Blah de blah (check above for how to do footnotes).
`----

(yup I'm a non-science student using org, so shoot me :P)

When I put my cursor in the properties drawer within the essay text and
hit C-c C-e 1 d I get my 'essay' exported and processed to
hume-essay-causation.pdf correctly, but if I instead use C-c C-e SPC
with point at various different places within the essay, I just get the
error 'No enclosing node with LaTeX_CLASS or EXPORT_FILE_NAME', yet
afaics they are there.

How do I make the SPC command work and how does it differ from a subtree
export?  Thanks.

Sean Whitton / <sean@silentflame.com>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x3B6D411B
http://sean.whitton.me/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Difference between subtree-restricted export and 'publish enclosing subtree'
@ 2011-04-08 13:01 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-04-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Whitton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sean Whitton <sean@silentflame.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I noticed the "publish enclosing subtree" command in the export
> dispatcher today and I can't make it work, nor can I see how it differs
> From publishing a subtree (and needless to say I can't seem to find any
> documentation).
>
> This is a section of my .org file:
>
> ,----
> | * STARTED Hume Essay #2: Causation
> | DEADLINE: <2011-04-19 Tue>
> | [2011-03-14 Mon 16:04]
> | [[gnus:nnimap%2BNucifera:INBOX#2E7232813422F0459DA862F6653E33202483027005@EXMBX06.ad.oak.ox.ac.uk][Reading
> | list]]
> |
> | *Does Hume think that causal power is all in the mind?*
> | ** TODO Essay
> | :PROPERTIES:
> | :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: hume-essay-causation
> | :EXPORT_AUTHOR: Sean Whitton, Balliol
> | :EXPORT_DATE: April 2011
> | :EXPORT_TITLE: Does Hume think that causal power is all in the mind?
> | :EXPORT_OPTIONS: todo:nil toc:nil skip:t
> | :LaTeX_CLASS: spwessay
> | :END:
> | ***
> | Blah de blah (check above for how to do footnotes).
> `----
>
> (yup I'm a non-science student using org, so shoot me :P)

Welcome to the club. :)

> When I put my cursor in the properties drawer within the essay text
> and hit C-c C-e 1 d I get my 'essay' exported and processed to
> hume-essay-causation.pdf correctly, but if I instead use C-c C-e SPC
> with point at various different places within the essay, I just get
> the error 'No enclosing node with LaTeX_CLASS or EXPORT_FILE_NAME',
> yet afaics they are there.

Yes, there are a few issues here.

I can replicate this bug when the cursor is above the LATEX_CLASS
property. For instance, if the cursor is located on the :PROPERTIES:
line, C-c C-e SPC results in an error. If it is on the :END: line, it
finds the relevant headline

The problem is that C-c C-e space calls a simple backwards regexp search
for the two properties. But the regexp search looks for export_title
instead of export_file_name (lines 998-1000):

	    (if (re-search-backward
		 "^[ \t]+\\(:latex_class:\\|:export_title:\\)[ \t]+\\S-"
		 nil t)

In addition, the regexp search is not bounded, so if you have another
headline higher up in the file with one of the properties in the search,
such as...

* Kant Essay
   :PROPERTIES:
   :LATEX_CLASS: spwessay
   :END:
** Some text

...hitting space will export that essay instead.

> How do I make the SPC command work and how does it differ from a subtree
> export?

My guess is that the former was introduced to make it more convenient to
export subtrees with the relevant properties. I.e., one can simply press
C-c C-e SPC at the current point, rather than having to mark the tree
manually.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: Difference between subtree-restricted export and 'publish enclosing subtree'
@ 2011-04-09  9:23   ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2011-04-09  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 8 Apr 2011 at 13:01Z, Matt Lundin wrote:

>> When I put my cursor in the properties drawer within the essay text
>> and hit C-c C-e 1 d I get my 'essay' exported and processed to
>> hume-essay-causation.pdf correctly, but if I instead use C-c C-e SPC
>> with point at various different places within the essay, I just get
>> the error 'No enclosing node with LaTeX_CLASS or EXPORT_FILE_NAME',
>> yet afaics they are there.

> Yes, there are a few issues here.

> I can replicate this bug when the cursor is above the LATEX_CLASS
> property. For instance, if the cursor is located on the :PROPERTIES:
> line, C-c C-e SPC results in an error. If it is on the :END: line, it
> finds the relevant headline

Interesting.  I get the problem from anywhere in the subtree - it
doesn't seem to be able to find the latex_class nor the
export_title/export_file_name.

> The problem is that C-c C-e space calls a simple backwards regexp
> search for the two properties. But the regexp search looks for
> export_title instead of export_file_name (lines 998-1000):

> 	    (if (re-search-backward "^[
> \t]+\\(:latex_class:\\|:export_title:\\)[ \t]+\\S-" nil t)

> In addition, the regexp search is not bounded, so if you have another
> headline higher up in the file with one of the properties in the
> search, such as...

> * Kant Essay
>> PROPERTIES:
>> LATEX_CLASS: spwessay
>> END:
> ** Some text

> ...hitting space will export that essay instead.

Okay, so it looks like this isn't a feature that's really usable right
now.  Maybe I'll write a patch to fix it at some point; for now I can
just use C-c C-u C-c C-e 1.  Thanks for the feedback.

@ 2011-04-21 16:04   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Sean Whitton, emacs-orgmode

On 8.4.2011, at 15:01, Matt Lundin wrote:

> Sean Whitton <sean@silentflame.com> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I noticed the "publish enclosing subtree" command in the export
>> dispatcher today and I can't make it work, nor can I see how it differs
>> From publishing a subtree (and needless to say I can't seem to find any
>> documentation).
>>
>> This is a section of my .org file:
>>
>> ,----
>> | * STARTED Hume Essay #2: Causation
>> | DEADLINE: <2011-04-19 Tue>
>> | [2011-03-14 Mon 16:04]
>> | [[gnus:nnimap%2BNucifera:INBOX#2E7232813422F0459DA862F6653E33202483027005@EXMBX06.ad.oak.ox.ac.uk][Reading
>> | list]]
>> |
>> | *Does Hume think that causal power is all in the mind?*
>> | ** TODO Essay
>> | :PROPERTIES:
>> | :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: hume-essay-causation
>> | :EXPORT_AUTHOR: Sean Whitton, Balliol
>> | :EXPORT_DATE: April 2011
>> | :EXPORT_TITLE: Does Hume think that causal power is all in the mind?
>> | :EXPORT_OPTIONS: todo:nil toc:nil skip:t
>> | :LaTeX_CLASS: spwessay
>> | :END:
>> | ***
>> | Blah de blah (check above for how to do footnotes).
>> `----
>>
>> (yup I'm a non-science student using org, so shoot me :P)
>
> Welcome to the club. :)
>
>> When I put my cursor in the properties drawer within the essay text
>> and hit C-c C-e 1 d I get my 'essay' exported and processed to
>> hume-essay-causation.pdf correctly, but if I instead use C-c C-e SPC
>> with point at various different places within the essay, I just get
>> the error 'No enclosing node with LaTeX_CLASS or EXPORT_FILE_NAME',
>> yet afaics they are there.
>
> Yes, there are a few issues here.
>
> I can replicate this bug when the cursor is above the LATEX_CLASS
> property. For instance, if the cursor is located on the :PROPERTIES:
> line, C-c C-e SPC results in an error. If it is on the :END: line, it
> finds the relevant headline
>
> The problem is that C-c C-e space calls a simple backwards regexp search
> for the two properties. But the regexp search looks for export_title
> instead of export_file_name (lines 998-1000):
>
> 	    (if (re-search-backward
> 		 "^[ \t]+\\(:latex_class:\\|:export_title:\\)[ \t]+\\S-"
> 		 nil t)
>
> In addition, the regexp search is not bounded,

Both issues are fixed now, thanks Matt for doing the footwork.

- Carsten