From: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-open-link-from-string in a program
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:18:01 +0200	[thread overview]

> I'm trying to write a small function that programmatically follows a
> link to a gnus message, then calls
> `gnus-summary-wide-reply-with-original' to start a reply to that
> message. It seemed like `org-open-link-from-string' (after extracting
> the address part from the link) would be the right choice, but I'm
> seeing odd behavior.
>
> When gnus sets up the reply buffer it also adds several hooks and
> actions for restoring windows and marking messages as responded-to, etc,
> and these hooks and actions depend on the value of (current-buffer) when
> the reply was initiated. That's supposed to be the gnus summary buffer.
>
> When I call all this from a function, however, (current-buffer)
> continues to return the org buffer I started in, even after the link was
> opened, which confuses gnus, and me. What I mean is this:
>
> (let ((addr the-address-part-of-the-link))
>    (org-open-link-from-string addr)
>    (message "%s" (current-buffer)) ; returns the org buffer I started in
>    (call-interactively
>      'gnus-summary-wide-reply-with-original))
>
> There must be something I'm misunderstanding about how buffers work when
> you're doing something non-interactive. If I manually eval the
> org-open-link-from-string statement, I end up in the summary buffer,
> obviously, and all works fine.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun org-open-link-from-string (s &optional arg reference-buffer)
  "Open a link in the string S, as if it was in Org-mode."
      [...snip...]
	(org-open-at-point arg reference-buffer)))))
#+end_src

,----------------------------------------------------------------------
| org-open-at-point is an interactive Lisp function in `org.el'.
|
| (org-open-at-point &optional ARG REFERENCE-BUFFER)
|
| Open link at or after point.
| If there is no link at point, this function will search forward up to
| the end of the current line.
| Normally, files will be opened by an appropriate application.  If the
| optional prefix argument ARG is non-nil, Emacs will visit the file.
| With a double prefix argument, try to open outside of Emacs, in the
| application the system uses for this file type.
`----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe because you call

| (org-open-link-from-string addr)

without ARG, Emacs is not visiting the file and thus its buffer does not
become current?

Anyway, when you're done - please share, this is quite interesting.

--
cheers,
Thorsten