From: Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: orgmode for many continuous tasks?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 13:24:11 -1000	[thread overview]

Mycroft Jones <mycroft@reactor-core.org> writes:

> I'm wondering if org-mode can do this:
>
> I have many tasks.  Some are one off.  But many are tasks that will take a
> period of time, days, weeks, months.  I need to schedule a bit of time every
> day.  Over time I can complete the tasks by plugging away.  But I have so many.
> Half hour chunks work for some tasks, 1 or 2 or 3 hour chunks work best for
> others.

Aloha,

This sort of thing is really a project management issue. While I know
you're asking for an org-mode solution, something like Task Juggler will
do the kind of scheduling you want. But it would be a fair amount of
work entering progress and updating scenarios every night.

What is really needed is a good org-mode/Task Juggler interface. (There
is an Emacs interface but it's meant for creating and running Task
Juggler scenarios directly.) I'm not necessarily volunteering to write
one, but it could be done. However this doesn't help you in the near
term.

To further the concept: If TODOs had due dates/time estimates/time spent
as perhaps additional properties, and there was a better way to express
dependencies (I think there is already an org-mode adjunct for this),
some coding could turn this into a Task Juggler input file.

There is already a project management adjunct for Emacs, but it doesn't
do scheduling.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i