Hello Org, I like #+LINK keywords because they make documents self-sufficient: anyone opening my document can follow these links or export the buffer; they do not need to run some Elisp to add to org-link-parameters. One thing I don't know how to customize, however, is how these links are exported when they have no description. Let's say I define this abbreviation: #+LINK: bug https://debbugs.gnu.org/ If I jot down references to [[bug:12345]] in my document, these will be exported as: https://debbugs.gnu.org/12345 Whereas I'd prefer: bug:12345 Looking at org-element-link-parser, I see that this is because the :contents-begin and :contents-end properties are nil, since they correspond to an unmatched optional group in org-link-bracket-re. I could probably customize org-link-parameters, but then my document would not be self-sufficient anymore. Besides, depending on the document I might use the same abbreviation for different URLs. Would it make sense to add a way for abbreviated links with no description to fallback to LINKKEY:TAG[1] instead of the full URL? If so, what would be the best way to go about it? (1) A single variable (e.g. org-link-abbrev-default-description), default nil, which a user could set to 'key-tag or just 'tag. (2) A third entry in org-link-abbrev-alist(-local), default nil, which a user could set to 'key-tag or just 'tag. (3) Something else (e.g. a new alist). I've attached a very crude patch for (1): now if I stick this footer in my Org files: #+LINK: bug https://debbugs.gnu.org/ # Local variables: # org-link-abbrev-default-description: key-tag # end: Then [[bug:12345]] is exported as bug:12345. WDYT? If the idea is sound, I will clean up the patch, clarify docstrings, add :safe predicates and unit tests, and re-submit. Thank you for your time.