* example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-17 12:06 Eric S Fraga
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-17 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

for those that may be interested, my latest paper (well, preprint at
this stage) is available if you are looking for an example of a
numerical work where the paper is completely written in org, including
data analysis and visualisation.  See signature for link.

The arxiv deposit includes the complete org file as an ancillary file.
--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-551-gf70e36
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-17 12:51 ` Juan Manuel Macías
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-06-17 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Eric,

Eric S Fraga writes:

> Dear all,
>
> for those that may be interested, my latest paper (well, preprint at
> this stage) is available if you are looking for an example of a
> numerical work where the paper is completely written in org, including
> data analysis and visualisation.  See signature for link.
>
> The arxiv deposit includes the complete org file as an ancillary file.

Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your work.

By the way, I think it would be nice to create on the Worg website a
section called "Org Showcase" or similar, just like there is a "Tex
Showcase" on the Tex User Group website: http://tug.org/texshowcase/,
with samples of published books, articles or web pages, all written in
Org, to demonstrate the productivity of Org Mode.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-17 13:38 ` Greg Minshall
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-06-17 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric,

thanks very much for sharing.  it's nice that you also provide the .org
file on arXiv -- good marketing material!  :) ah, and mention in the
code appendix.  it's very useful to have the .org file as a model of how
to do various things.

i don't know if this is you, or is arXiv, but the ancillary files
("details" on the main page) claims to get .tar.gz (and, indeed,
downloads as a .tar.gz file) but is, in fact, an uncompressed .tar file.

cheers, Greg

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-17 14:40 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-06-17 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry

Wow, that example with 3D modeling, aka "Laurana_tex.zip <http://tug.org/texshowcase/Laurana_tex.zip>" is absolutely insane.

That's amazing!

I mention this because I like doing art on the side, and am getting into Blender just to produce reference images for sketching, etc. and find that fascinating that you could literally embed 3D models into a TeX document:
http://tug.org/texshowcase/

@ 2021-06-17 15:06   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-17 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 16:38, Greg Minshall wrote:
> i don't know if this is you, or is arXiv, but the ancillary files
> ("details" on the main page) claims to get .tar.gz (and, indeed,
> downloads as a .tar.gz file) but is, in fact, an uncompressed .tar file.

Not me.  I uploaded the files following whatever instructions they gave
me.  I believe that I had the option of uploading either .tar or .tar.gz
and chose the former (as the files are not large).  Maybe the web site
is not quite consistent with what they ask of authors.

--

@ 2021-06-17 15:11   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-17 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 16:38, Greg Minshall wrote:
> it's nice that you also provide the .org file on arXiv -- good
> marketing material!  :) ah, and mention in the code appendix.

Thank you.  Credit where credit is due!

I wanted to reference both org and Emacs in some way, not to mention
Eric Schulte et al.'s paper on using org for literate
programming.  These have all changed, dramatically for the better, how I
undertake my research.  So much has been made about org's time
management aspects in the wider community, which I do use extensively,
but less about the support in org but also Emacs for actual writing and
it is this support that is the killer feature for me.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-551-gf70e36
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* example paper written in org completely
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-06-17 16:31 ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-06-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric, could you provihe examples on how to write equations in org.
Does org accept both tex and latex commands?

----- Christopher Dimech
Administrator General - Naiad Informatics - Gnu Project

Society has become too quick to pass judgement and declare someone
Persona Non-Grata, the most extreme form of censure a country can
bestow.

In a new era of destructive authoritarianism, I support Richard
Stallman.  Times of great crisis are also times of great
opportunity.  I call upon you to make this struggle yours as well !

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://www.fsf.org/     https://www.gnu.org/

@ 2021-06-17 16:33   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "GM" == Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

> Eric,
> thanks very much for sharing.  it's nice that you also provide the .org
> file on arXiv -- good marketing material!  :) ah, and mention in the
> code appendix.  it's very useful to have the .org file as a model of how
> to do various things.

> i don't know if this is you, or is arXiv, but the ancillary files
> ("details" on the main page) claims to get .tar.gz (and, indeed,
> downloads as a .tar.gz file) but is, in fact, an uncompressed .tar file.

That is a arXiv thing. Let's put it this way: they don't rely on very
modern software (it took them ages to get a recent texlive version)[1]

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  truth being told, a lot of mathematicians and I think physicists
     don't upgrade very frequently so it might have been a
     compatibility issue.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-17 16:40     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-17 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 18:33, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> [1]  truth being told, a lot of mathematicians and I think physicists
>      don't upgrade very frequently so it might have been a
>      compatibility issue.

Funnily enough, just in the past hour or so, I ended up in panic
mode.  I rely on one commercial software (not by choice).  I knew I had
an up to date licence but the software insisted that I did not have a
licence.  Turns out that the actual software itself was umpteen years
old and I needed a newer version of the software (which I could
download) to use with the updated licence (and of course the old licence
had expired).

Downloaded new version and everything is working.

However, I work on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.  And
that's why I don't like commercial closed software reason #381.

Time for a beer. ;-)

--

@ 2021-06-17 16:42   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 18:31, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> Hi Eric, could you provihe examples on how to write equations in org.
> Does org accept both tex and latex commands?

If you look at the org file I mentioned (link in signature), you'll see
several examples of LaTeX equations in org.

I don't use TeX directly, only LaTeX.

--

@ 2021-06-17 17:04     ` Christopher Dimech
> On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 18:31, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > Hi Eric, could you provihe examples on how to write equations in org.
> > Does org accept both tex and latex commands?
>
> If you look at the org file I mentioned (link in signature), you'll see
> several examples of LaTeX equations in org.

I can see paper.org on more inspection, thank you.

> I don't use TeX directly, only LaTeX.

It is a good thing that one does not have to specify tex or latex blocks
to export in html using mathjax.

Used to think that tex or latex blocks were necessary.

@ 2021-06-17 17:19       ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-06-17 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

The algorithmicx latex package has a very annoying licence, the LaTeX Project Public License.  Although a free software license, it incompatible with the GPL with many requirements.

@ 2021-06-17 19:54       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-17 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 18:33, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> [1]  truth being told, a lot of mathematicians and I think physicists
>> don't upgrade very frequently so it might have been a
>> compatibility issue.

> Funnily enough, just in the past hour or so, I ended up in panic
> mode.  I rely on one commercial software (not by choice).  I knew I had
> an up to date licence but the software insisted that I did not have a
> licence.  Turns out that the actual software itself was umpteen years
> old and I needed a newer version of the software (which I could
> download) to use with the updated licence (and of course the old licence
> had expired).

> Downloaded new version and everything is working.

I wonder what that software might be ;-)

> However, I work on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.  And
> that's why I don't like commercial closed software reason #381.

> Time for a beer. ;-)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-18  8:02         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-18  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 21:54, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I wonder what that software might be ;-)

Actually, in this case, it isn't one of the usual suspects.  I use Linux
for everything so I have pretty much found open source solutions to all
my usual requirements.  This particular case is a modelling system from
a small company.

I won't name and shame because they actually have, in comparison, very
reasonable licensing terms and conditions, including free versions for
students.

But, if there were an option that was open source etc., I would jump on
it.
--

@ 2021-06-18  8:04         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-18  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 19:19, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> The algorithmicx latex package has a very annoying licence, the LaTeX
> Project Public License.  Although a free software license, it
> incompatible with the GPL with many requirements.

And?  I'm not sure of the relevance.  I use many LaTeX packages when
writing.  Whether they are GPL or not is rather secondary, in my view.

--

@ 2021-06-18 11:55           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-18 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 21:54, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> I wonder what that software might be ;-)

> Actually, in this case, it isn't one of the usual suspects.  I use Linux
> for everything so I have pretty much found open source solutions to all
> my usual requirements.  This particular case is a modelling system from
> a small company.

> I won't name and shame because they actually have, in comparison, very
> reasonable licensing terms and conditions, including free versions for
> students.

Right, fair enough. I thought it was MS Office or something like this.[1]

Footnotes:
[1]  I am forced to modify each year our course guides. These guides are
     written (no joke) in MS Office format pre-97. It has complex but badly
     formatted tables that makes it impossible to edit with anything
     than MS Office (or the markup is distorted).

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-18 12:46             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-18 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 18 Jun 2021 at 13:55, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Right, fair enough. I thought it was MS Office or something like this.[1]

Yeah; I avoid that problem mostly by using ODT export in org.

Sometimes, if I have to work on an actual document that LibreOffice or
gnumeric cannot handle, I access our institution's systems using
rdesktop and/or a web interface.  Luckily, I only have to the latter
once every few months at most.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-557-gceb78e

@ 2021-06-18 13:45           ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-06-18 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is a good package, but since it is inactive, org-mode could assimilate
it so people can use it, rather than in the form of an external package.

Defining the structure of an algorithm in a document is of value.
Can one do something similar using current code or does the algorithmicx
package have some more pleasant capabilities?

> Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 at 8:04 PM
> From: "Eric S Fraga" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Subject: Re: example paper written in org completely
>
> On Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 19:19, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > The algorithmicx latex package has a very annoying licence, the LaTeX
> > Project Public License.  Although a free software license, it
> > incompatible with the GPL with many requirements.
>
> And?  I'm not sure of the relevance.  I use many LaTeX packages when
> writing.  Whether they are GPL or not is rather secondary, in my view.
>
> --
> : Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-551-gf70e36
> : Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* [longlines] (was: example paper written in org completely)
@ 2021-06-18 14:38               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-18 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Friday, 18 Jun 2021 at 13:55, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Right, fair enough. I thought it was MS Office or something like this.[1]

> Yeah; I avoid that problem mostly by using ODT export in org.

> Sometimes, if I have to work on an actual document that LibreOffice or
> gnumeric cannot handle, I access our institution's systems using
> rdesktop and/or a web interface.  Luckily, I only have to the latter
> once every few months at most.

Coming back to your original post. I finally downloaded it and had a
quick look at its source org file.

You are using longlines (that is now auto-fill after 70 chars).

I never found a longline mode I liked and that is why I stick to good
old auto-fill with 70 chars.

I wounder what you use to display the file (I am using a either a 14
inch Thinkpad X1 or 13inch MacBookAir, so maybe that is the issue here).

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [longlines] (was: example paper written in org completely)
@ 2021-06-18 15:00                 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2021-06-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use visual-line-mode. It almost always works fine for me.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> > On Friday, 18 Jun 2021 at 13:55, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> >> Right, fair enough. I thought it was MS Office or something like
> this.[1]
>
> > Yeah; I avoid that problem mostly by using ODT export in org.
>
> > Sometimes, if I have to work on an actual document that LibreOffice or
> > gnumeric cannot handle, I access our institution's systems using
> > rdesktop and/or a web interface.  Luckily, I only have to the latter
> > once every few months at most.
>
> Coming back to your original post. I finally downloaded it and had a
> quick look at its source org file.
>
> You are using longlines (that is now auto-fill after 70 chars).
>
> I never found a longline mode I liked and that is why I stick to good
> old auto-fill with 70 chars.
>
> I wounder what you use to display the file (I am using a either a 14
> inch Thinkpad X1 or 13inch MacBookAir, so maybe that is the issue here).
>
> --
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: [longlines] (was: example paper written in org completely)
@ 2021-06-18 15:19                   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-18 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

I recently switched to one-sentence-per-line + visual-line-mode.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 11:00 AM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I use visual-line-mode. It almost always works fine for me.

>> > Yeah; I avoid that problem mostly by using ODT export in org.
>>
>> > Sometimes, if I have to work on an actual document that LibreOffice or
>> > gnumeric cannot handle, I access our institution's systems using
>> > rdesktop and/or a web interface.  Luckily, I only have to the latter
>> > once every few months at most.
>>
>> Coming back to your original post. I finally downloaded it and had a
>> quick look at its source org file.
>>
>> You are using longlines (that is now auto-fill after 70 chars).
>>
>> I never found a longline mode I liked and that is why I stick to good
>> old auto-fill with 70 chars.
>>
>> I wounder what you use to display the file (I am using a either a 14
>> inch Thinkpad X1 or 13inch MacBookAir, so maybe that is the issue here).
>>
> --
> John
>
> -----------------------------------
> Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
> Doherty Hall A207F
> Department of Chemical Engineering
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
> 412-268-7803
> @johnkitchin
> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: [longlines]
@ 2021-06-18 15:23                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-18 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 18 Jun 2021 at 16:38, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Coming back to your original post. I finally downloaded it and had a
> quick look at its source org file.
>
> You are using longlines (that is now auto-fill after 70 chars).
>
> I never found a longline mode I liked and that is why I stick to good
> old auto-fill with 70 chars.

I use visual-line-mode together with org-indent-mode.

> I wounder what you use to display the file (I am using a either a 14
> inch Thinkpad X1 or 13inch MacBookAir, so maybe that is the issue here).

My usual setup consists of 2 monitors: a 38" curved screen and a 27"
in portrait orientation.

On the 38", I often have 3 Emacs windows side by side so that each
window is not too wide (80-100 characters with my current font) and the
text wraps nicely.  But I can switch to wider windows easily when
editing tables that may be too wide, for instance.  I often have the PDF
in one of the other windows and sometimes my bibliography in the last
one.

The portrait monitor works well with a single window.

--

@ 2021-06-18 16:30                     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "BD" == Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently switched to one-sentence-per-line + visual-line-mode.
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 11:00 AM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I use visual-line-mode. It almost always works fine for me.

In my experience the best I found was

(defun my-turn-on-longlines-in-auctex ()
  "Turn on all three modes which support the display of long-lines."
  (interactive)
  (adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode 'toggle)
  (visual-line-mode 'toggle)
  (visual-fill-column-mode 'toggle)
  (message "adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode; visual-line-mode and visual-fill-column-mode are ON/OFF."))

But then, at least in Auctex, I run some unexpected behavior  and turned
it off.

Do you use it also in message mode?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [longlines]
@ 2021-06-18 16:38                     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "BD" == Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently switched to one-sentence-per-line + visual-line-mode.

That I do in Auctex mode (actually I use a filling function by Ingo Lohmar,  I found in
http://pleasefindattached.blogspot.com/2011/12/emacsauctex-sentence-fill-greatly.html
link does not work anymore. But I have the code and there is the wayback
machine)

;  (ad-activate 'LaTeX-fill-region-as-paragraph)

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-18 23:02             ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-06-18 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> It is a good package, but since it is inactive, org-mode could assimilate
> it so people can use it, rather than in the form of an external package.

I don't see any advantage in doing this. It is simple to include the
package. Furthermore, if we start to bundle it, we also take on more
responsibility for ensuring it works etc. Besides, where do we then
'draw the line' - there are lots of additional and useful Latex
packages, many of which are probably even more commonly used, such as
some of the packages which extend/enhance tables, code listings, etc.

> Defining the structure of an algorithm in a document is of value.
> Can one do something similar using current code or does the algorithmicx
> package have some more pleasant capabilities?

The algorithmicx package does add some useful functionality wrt
formatting algorithms, but only for Latex exports. Just
bundling the latex package with org will not change the existing
situation - it will still only be functionality available with latex
exports. All it *might* do is remove the requirement to install the
latex package and add it to your export headers.

Having similar functionality which is back end agnostic and based on
just org syntax would be useful for some users. However, this would
involve re-implementation of what the latex package does in elisp and
adding code to the export layer to interpret the new structures
appropriately. The big question is whether anyone has sufficient
interest and desire for this functionality to actually do the work.

My gut feeling is that the number of people who need this functionality
who are not satisfied witih the current situation is too small to reach
the level of critical mass that would see this requirement realised.

@ 2021-06-18 23:26             ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-06-18 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Footnotes:
> [1]  I am forced to modify each year our course guides. These guides are
>      written (no joke) in MS Office format pre-97. It has complex but badly
>      formatted tables that makes it impossible to edit with anything
>      than MS Office (or the markup is distorted).

We had exactly the same problem. This is a good example of the important
v urgent problem we are often faced with and is a critical part of how I
manage my todo lists.

A major pitfall with todo lists and priorities is that we fail to make
the distinction between important and urgent tasks. What ends up
happening is that all our time gets consumed by urgent tasks and we
never get time to address important tasks. Unfortunately, it is the
important tasks which, once completed, will reduce the number or time
taken to deal with urgent tasks - we end up being more reactive and
proactive.

In our case, we all hated having to update/edit the course guides in MS
Office because it was painful and time consuming, but urgent. However,
nobody belt they had the time to fix matters, despite us all agreeing it
was important.

One year, we decided to just let some urgent tasks slip, accept the flak
this caused and instead spend the time fixing the formatting of the
course guides.

We actually ended up developing a new format, inspired by org and some
markdown formats and which used pandoc to generate the final output. We
were forgiven for failing to meet some urgent deadlines because in the
end, we had far better quality course guides which were easier to
maintain and available in more formats with greater consistency.

Unfortunately, the resources freed by not having to spend so long
updating the course guides each year was soon absorbed by other urgent
tasks, so ultimately, no real change in workload. However, students were
happier as course guides were better and we were then able to move on to
other important v urgent battles.

What would have been really great is if we had more Emacs users. We
could then just have used org mode for the base format and even less
work would have been required to convert from MS Office, but that will
never happen. On the up side, I do see more and more ideas originally
germinated in an Emacs environment finding there way into other tool
chains, so perhaps the environments of the future won't suck quite as
much as they might if MS Office had been the only source for
inspiration! As the Beta v VHS war demonstrated, great technology is not
enough, you also need to factor in marketing and advertising budgets of
the competition!

--
Tim Cross

* example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-19  0:21               ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-06-19  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Currently texinfo uses tex as the underlying process to create the typeset
document.  After talking to Gavin Smith, for texinfo to be able to use latex,
would require using latex to print the document, which necessitates a new
implementation.  Do we have a latex implementation with the Official Gnu
Software?

Will see with Gavn what capabilities exist for algorithms constructs
and how far can we go before we require the package.  It would be beneficial
for me to know  how far we go with org before we require the package as well.

Felicitations
Christopher

@ 2021-06-19  9:58               ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2021-06-19  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

The thread is going far from the original post, and I'm pushing it
further. Eric, sorry for that.

But this is an interesting topic so just to have some more thoughts on this I'm jumping
in. Org-mode has enhanced my organizational skills and I have still a
lot to learn here. To continue this conversation, we need a philosopher
here one I'm far from being one, so please take my comments lightly.

On Saturday, 19 Jun 2021 at 09:26, Tim Cross wrote:
> A major pitfall with todo lists and priorities is that we fail to make
> the distinction between important and urgent tasks. What ends up
> happening is that all our time gets consumed by urgent tasks and we
> never get time to address important tasks. Unfortunately, it is the
> important tasks which, once completed, will reduce the number or time
> taken to deal with urgent tasks - we end up being more reactive and
> proactive.

First how do we make the distinction between urgent and important tasks?
Many tasks are important because they are urgent but who and what
defines their urgency?

> In our case, we all hated having to update/edit the course guides in MS
> Office because it was painful and time consuming, but urgent. However,
> nobody belt they had the time to fix matters, despite us all agreeing it
> was important.

This reminds me of the Aesop fable the [1] Mice in Council, which pushes the
importance part to the extreme.

[1]: https://aesopsfables.org/F184_The-Mice-in-Council.html.

A way to solve this might be identify some heroes and compensate them for
doing their job. Too many heroes never have their inner calling.

> What would have been really great is if we had more Emacs users. We
You are in good company here.

> could then just have used org mode for the base format and even less
> work would have been required to convert from MS Office, but that will
> never happen. On the up side, I do see more and more ideas originally
> germinated in an Emacs environment finding there way into other tool
> chains, so perhaps the environments of the future won't suck quite as
> much as they might if MS Office had been the only source for
> inspiration! As the Beta v VHS war demonstrated, great technology is not
> enough, you also need to factor in marketing and advertising budgets of
> the competition!

[2] Monday.com raised $574 Million, in an IPO this month.  Many times
I'm forced to use pictures as replacement for
table and I am still struggling to add more DONE states there.

[2]: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-10/monday-com-prices-u-s-ipo-above-range-at-155-a-share

I suspect that it would be difficult to compete with a front-end with
org-mode at the back, but again, I'm telling more than I know.

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Juste

* Re: example paper written in org completely
@ 2021-06-19 13:12                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-19 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday, 19 Jun 2021 at 11:58, Jeremie Juste wrote:
> The thread is going far from the original post, and I'm pushing it
> further. Eric, sorry for that.
>
> But this is an interesting topic so just to have some more thoughts on
> this I'm jumping in.

It is indeed an interesting topic so no worries!  Serendipity...  I'm
enjoying seeing where it's going.  Org mode is more than just a toy:
it's an enabling technology for a very wide range of activities and
that's what makes it incredibly powerful.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-566-gf0198e

@ 2021-06-19 15:58                 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-06-19 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry

Hey Tim,

Some things to consider:
- Org Roam
- Org Brain
- Even the philosophy of taking ideas from "Getting Things Done" to get a good system of tasks

Also, I would label your headers for todo list items as "tasks" rather then "todo list items". Why?

Because its a different mindset altogether and way more inviting.

I do this for my work and personal org todo lists.

I am in the camp where you have a giant org docs, since I think having multiple files for the same overall structured goal is a bit silly and unnecessary.

I recommend having a giant todo list org doc for your work stuff. And then have a separate one called 'life.org' where you keep all your personal notes. This is so that in the future you can quickly search through your notes for anything you might have done but you forgot about. This helps me a ton as I record a lot of ideas that sometimes turn into cool projects either now, or later.

Plus, organize your headers accordingly.

Ex:
* Things To Do
** Week Of (Current Week)
* COMPLETED_TASKS: 2021
** Week Of (Week That Has Already Taken Place)

If you learn how to shuffle entire headings around your Org document accordingly, you can get a good workflow going.

This means that you will have to learn how to use 'org-refile', as it will help you move tasks around and refile them in the "Getting Things Done" easily.

You can even make org capture templates to quickly insert your ideas (Lord knows how many times I almost went to sleep and had amazing ideas that I'm super thankful that I wrote down).

I also recommend using the Helm package, as its auto-completion and other features help SO much when it comes to org-mode tasks, and blows the other packages out of the water.

Hope this helps :)

~ Sam

* Re: [longlines]
@ 2021-06-24 22:09                       ` Haider Rizvi
From: Haider Rizvi @ 2021-06-24 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> In my experience the best I found was
>
> (defun my-turn-on-longlines-in-auctex ()
>   "Turn on all three modes which support the display of long-lines."
>   (interactive)
>   (adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode 'toggle)
>   (visual-line-mode 'toggle)
>   (visual-fill-column-mode 'toggle)
>   (message "adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode; visual-line-mode and visual-fill-column-mode are
> ON/OFF."))

Nice. Didn't know about adaptive-wrap mode. I had tried visual-fill-column-mode but it clobbered wide tables badly, adaptive-wrap fixes that problem.

Thanks for mentioning it :-)