Hi John, The appended patch should do. I found, that here (emacs 23) it works, if I replace `server-delete-client' with `server-sentinel' In emacs23, `server-sentinel' calls `server-delete-client'. I found `server-sentinel' in emacs22 (lisp/server.el) and it seems to do what we need. Would you mind to try that? I will, but haven't compiled emacs22 yet (just have to think a little about the best setup with two emacs versions). The sense of the function is to kill the emacsclient and the servers connection. Otherwise, we would get questions when exiting emacs: "Server buffer still has clients. ...."