* Name the different types of links in an org file
@ 2022-04-27 15:40 c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2022-04-27 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I just want to find the correct terms of the different types of links an
org file can have. This is not only about orgmode but orgroam (version 1
and 2) also.

Currently I know and "understand" this types of links.

1. Hyperlinks
Example: [[https://foo.bar][Link description]]
This links can also point to files on the local filesystem etc

2. Org-roam ID-Links (version 2)
Example: [[ID:123456789][Link description]]

3. Old Org-roam (version 1) links
I have never seen them in real world but I assume this are usual
to-local-file-links as described in point 1.

4. Roam Links
I also have seen links like this
[[roam:Foobar][Foobar]] or [[roam:Foobar]]
I know them as "placeholders" or dead-links when want to insert a link
to an orgroam node that does not exist yet. In my workflow deadlinks
like this are like reminders for me that I should create a node.
But I am not sure what type of link this is in other situations.

Am I right here? Did I miss something?

Please feel free to correct the names of the link types and correct my
explanation.

Kind
Christian

* Re: Name the different types of links in an org file
@ 2022-04-27 17:11 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2022-04-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

c.buhtz@posteo.jp writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just want to find the correct terms of the different types of links
> an org file can have. This is not only about orgmode but orgroam
> (version 1 and 2) also.
>
> 1. Hyperlinks
> Example: [[https://foo.bar][Link description]]
> This links can also point to files on the local filesystem etc

See the following chapter in the manual:

   (info "(org)Hyperlinks")

and in particular, the sections on "Inernal" and "External" links, but
note that the hyperlink system is extensible - you define your own
link types and behavior:

   (info "(org)Adding Hyperlink Types")

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler