* Creating a "multi-state checkbox"
@ 2010-04-05 23:40 Chad Birch
From: Chad Birch @ 2010-04-05 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm fairly new to org-mode (but loving it so far), so my apologies if this
is something that's been discussed before, I had no luck finding a similar
topic in the mailing list or docs.

I've been using nested checkboxes to set up lists of tasks I need to
perform, because I really like being able to use [/] and [%] to display my
overall progress at the higher levels. In some cases though, it would be
convenient if there was a way to create a "checkbox" with more states than
just binary on/off. For example, I have a task that I need to repeat 10
times. I would like some way to mark my progress, and then have the
"checkbox" be completed once I've reached 10. Of course, this can already be
achieved in (at least) two ways:

 - manually tracking the progress and manually checking off once I've
completed it 10 times
 - creating 10 sub-checkboxes

However, I'm wondering if there is some way to do it automatically, it would
be nice to just have a keypress for "increment counter" and have it
automatically complete when the target value is reached.

Thanks,

 - Chad

* Re: Creating a "multi-state checkbox"
@ 2010-04-06 11:29 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-06 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Birch; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chad Birch <chad.birch@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm fairly new to org-mode (but loving it so far), so my apologies if
> this is something that's been discussed before, I had no luck finding
> a similar topic in the mailing list or docs.
>
> I've been using nested checkboxes to set up lists of tasks I need to
> perform, because I really like being able to use [/] and [%] to
> display my overall progress at the higher levels. In some cases
> though, it would be convenient if there was a way to create a
> "checkbox" with more states than just binary on/off. For example, I
> have a task that I need to repeat 10 times. I would like some way to
> mark my progress, and then have the "checkbox" be completed once I've
> reached 10. Of course, this can already be achieved in (at least) two
> ways:
>
> - manually tracking the progress and manually checking off once I've
>   completed it 10 times
> - creating 10 sub-checkboxes
>
> However, I'm wondering if there is some way to do it automatically, it
> would be nice to just have a keypress for "increment counter" and have
> it automatically complete when the target value is reached.

Hi Chad,

I don't believe that type of functionality exists in org-mode today.
I would probably go with the create 10 sub-checkboxes solution
since that's easy and works now.

HTH,
Bernt