* Simple Indentation question: indentation behaviour changed some time ago.
@ 2011-03-01 21:50 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-03-01 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I remember once I had this

* headline
  - item
TEXT
^

cursor on first "T" of "TEXT" and pressing "TAB" I got:

* headline
  - item
    TEXT

nowadays I get

* headline
  - item
  TEXT

I checked the org-*indent* variables but could not find a matching variable.
How can I configure the old behaviour?

Thanks Rainer

* Re: Simple Indentation question: indentation behaviour changed some time ago.
@ 2011-03-01 23:45 ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-03-01 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> writes:

> * headline
>   - item
> TEXT
> ^
>
> cursor on first "T" of "TEXT" and pressing "TAB" I got:
>
> * headline
>   - item
>     TEXT
>
> nowadays I get
>
> * headline
>   - item
>   TEXT

> I checked the org-*indent* variables but could not find a matching variable.
> How can I configure the old behaviour?

You can set `org-list-ending-method' to 'regexp, meaning that you will
need to provide two blank lines (that's configurable though, see
`org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' and `org-list-end-regexp') to end
a list.

Otherwise, lists are determined by indentation, so, in your example,
TEXT end the list as it is less indented than any of its items. Thus,
when pressing TAB, Org indent the line accordingly, that is as a line
belonging to the headline but not to the list.

Also note that, if TEXT isn't already typed, you can use C-j after
"item" to stay inside list and go on typing.

Nicolas

* Re: Simple Indentation question: indentation behaviour changed some time ago.
@ 2011-03-02  8:47   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-03-02  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 02.03.2011 00:45, schrieb Nicolas:
> Hello,
>
> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> writes:
>
>> * headline
>>   - item
>> TEXT
>> ^
>>
>> cursor on first "T" of "TEXT" and pressing "TAB" I got:
>>
>> * headline
>>   - item
>>     TEXT
>>
>> nowadays I get
>>
>> * headline
>>   - item
>>   TEXT
>> I checked the org-*indent* variables but could not find a matching variable.
>> How can I configure the old behaviour?
> You can set `org-list-ending-method' to 'regexp, meaning that you will
> need to provide two blank lines (that's configurable though, see
> `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' and `org-list-end-regexp') to end
> a list.
>
> Otherwise, lists are determined by indentation, so, in your example,
> TEXT end the list as it is less indented than any of its items. Thus,
> when pressing TAB, Org indent the line accordingly, that is as a line
> belonging to the headline but not to the list.
>
> Also note that, if TEXT isn't already typed, you can use C-j after
> "item" to stay inside list and go on typing.
>
> Regards,

Hello Nicolas,

ok, thanks, I checked all that but could not find a setting that makes sense for me.

I do not understand why when pressing TAB being at point ^:

  - item

^

results in

  - item

    ^

but having

  - item
TEXT
^

and pressing TAB results in

  - item
  TEXT
  ^

How can I get the indentation same as with empty lines?

-- Rainer

[-- Attachment #2: rainer_stengele.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Rainer Stengele
n:Stengele;Rainer
email;internet:rainer.stengele@online.de
tel;work:+49(0)9131777885
tel;cell:+49(0)17612777885
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: Simple Indentation question: indentation behaviour changed some time ago.
@ 2011-03-02  9:51     ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-03-02  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> writes:

> I do not understand why when pressing TAB being at point ^:
>
>   - item
>
> ^
>
> results in
>
>   - item
>
>     ^
>

> but having
>

>   - item
> TEXT
> ^
>
> and pressing TAB results in
>
>   - item
>   TEXT
>   ^
>
> How can I get the indentation same as with empty lines?

You can't. Once TEXT is typed at column 0, by definition, the list
before is over, and indentation reflects that. And this makes sense: how
could an user end a list if all his text was eventually being inserted
inside the list?

On the other hand, if no text is typed yet, like in your first case, the
list isn't over, and TAB will indent line into the last item of the
list, as if you had typed C-j.

I hope it is clearer now.

Regards,

-- Nicolas

* Re: Simple Indentation question: indentation behaviour changed some time ago.
@ 2011-03-02 10:12       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-03-02 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode