At Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:47:46 +0800, Le Wang wrote: > > Hi all, > > I'm fairly new to org-mode, and I only use it as an outliner / note > taking tool. It seems recipes, being a list of ingredients and a > series of steps is a perfect match for org-mode. > > Out of the box, org already works pretty well for recipes, but I think > there are some areas for improved integration around timers. I'm not > familiar with all the facilities of org-mode, maybe someone who uses > org-mode for scientific experiments or something similar will have > some hints. > > Is it possible to inline count-down timers in a cooking step? For > example "2. simmer sauce for 40 minutes on low heat. > ", so there is a button at the end of the line > that starts a count-down timer. > > Many timers from different steps can be started simultaneously, and > each timer should be able to be paused and restarted. And there > should be an easy way to get an overview of of all ongoing timers from > the current document. > > Is it possible to hack this together using existing org functionality? Hi, This is only tangentially related, but I will bring it up anyhow. First, I use org-mode to keep my recipes. Here is the format I use: * Molasses spice cookies :PROPERTIES: :source: Here in America’s test kitchen, p. 275. :END: Whisk together: - 2 1:4 cup ($11.25 oz$) flour - 1 tsp baking soda - 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon [...] Beat at med high until light and fluffy (~3 min): - 12 tbsp butter, softened - 1:2 cup sugar and so on. I have some methods to convert units back & forth from metric & narrow a recipe to ingredients only, though I think this is probably not really useful. I would be happy to provide this if you like. I also keep a log of my home beer brewing. In it I use the relative timer to keep track of what I actually do when brewing. For instance: 0:00:00 Add to 1 gal 150 degF water: - 4 oz Roast malt - 8 oz British chocolate - 8 oz British crystal 50-60 degL - 8 oz flaked oats, toasted @ 300 degF for 30 min. 0:56:18 Sparge w/ 1.5 gal @ 162 degF. Top off to 3 gal. 1:40:18 Add 3 lb light LME. 1:52:32 Boiling again, add 2 oz U.S. Goldings @ 4.5% 2:37:21 Add 2.5 lb light LME 2:47:10 Add whirlfloc, yeast nutrient 3:02:00 Start cooling. 3:57:20 Top off to 5.5 gal. Pitch 1 package S-04. Gravity: 1.040 @ 70 degF Although this would probably be overkill for (most) cooking, if you care enough about what you are cooking you can use a relative timer in this way to remember when it was you last did something. It’s not quite a timer, but setting up a countdown timer would be pretty easy, I think. best, Erik