* ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  6:06 Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2013-09-04  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to compare two directories and see what files are different, however, the comparison should ignore timestamps of files. Is there a simple solution?

I had assumed that ediff would also consider files in subdirectories of the directory paths given for comparison. Apparently, it does not do that in Emacs 23.4.1 - is there a "recursive" option?

Many thanks in advance.
Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  7:47 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-04  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 08:06:31AM +0200, Stefan Vollmar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to compare two directories and see what files are different, however, the comparison should ignore timestamps of files. Is there a simple solution?
>
> I had assumed that ediff would also consider files in subdirectories of the directory paths given for comparison. Apparently, it does not do that in Emacs 23.4.1 - is there a "recursive" option?

You might have better luck on the emacs list.  That said, did you look
at `ediff-directories'?

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  7:49   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2013-09-04  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>  That said, did you look at `ediff-directories'?

Oops!  I missed the part you already tried it and it doesn't meet your
needs.  Sorry about that.

--
Suvayu

* Re: ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  7:56   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-09-04  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to compare two directories and see what files are different,
>> however, the comparison should ignore timestamps of files. Is there
>> a simple solution?
>>
>> I had assumed that ediff would also consider files in subdirectories
>> of the directory paths given for comparison. Apparently, it does not
>> do that in Emacs 23.4.1 - is there a "recursive" option?
>>

> You might have better luck on the emacs list.  That said, did you look
> at `ediff-directories'?

That's also my tool of choice. Combined with the key sequene "= h x",
which shows you only the files which differ.

`ediff-directories' is not recursive, but it gives you also subdirectory
pairs to compare. Just hit enter on such a pair.

As bonus, it even works for remote directories.

Best regards, Michael.