* Non-printable Characters in Bug Reports
@ 2019-09-21 14:17 Sebastian Miele
From: Sebastian Miele @ 2019-09-21 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My last bug report on this list was prepared with org-submit-bug-report
in an Emacs with a minimal configuration. From there I copy/pasted the
contents of the resulting mail buffer to an mu4e mail buffer in my fully
configured usual Emacs. Then I finished the bug report and hit send.

mu4e noticed non-printable characters in the mail and asked what to do
about it. The mail contained e.g. something like

  ("ftp" :follow
     #[257 "\301\300\302^CQ!\207" ["ftp" browse-url ":"] 5
     "\n\n(fn URL)"])

where ^C was not ^ followed by C, but the way Emacs dispays some
particular non-printing character.

I told mu4e to replace the characters. Apparently, all non-printable
characters have been replaced by ASCII periods.

Is there a best practice? Leave or replace?

* Re: Non-printable Characters in Bug Reports
@ 2020-02-03 19:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-03 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Miele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Miele <sebastian.miele@gmail.com> writes:

> I told mu4e to replace the characters. Apparently, all non-printable
> characters have been replaced by ASCII periods.
>
> Is there a best practice?

FWIW, I think ASCII periods are fine in this case.

--
 Bastien