* Attempting to create orgcard.org
@ 2022-09-27 14:36 Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2022-09-27 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

I’m trying to make a .org refcard. There are two benefits I see, first we can evaluate
`(org-release)' during export and so move `(org-release)' out of the makefile,
secondly this enables us to have keybindings that are always up to date. Users
who have customised the keybindings (or frameworks/kits like Spacemacs/Doom)
could re-generate the refcard and it would show their modified keybindings.

I have something that I think looks fairly promising (see the attached file),
but I’m currently struggling to get the command list to wrap across columns
nicely, I’m currently using tables and I just haven’t quite been able to get it
to work.

If there are any LaTeX-sperts on the list who could give this a look, I’d be
quite appreciative.

All the best,
Timothy

[-- Attachment #2: orgcard.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 4406 bytes --]

* Re: Attempting to create orgcard.org
@ 2022-09-27 20:45 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-09-27 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Timothy,

Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:

> I’m trying to make a .org refcard.

Is it intented to replace orgcard.tex at some point?  I believe we
should stick to using the same format for Org than for Emacs.  If this
is doable via an .org file that is easier to maintain, that's good.

PS: FWIW, I don't think refcards should include custom keybindings.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Attempting to create orgcard.org
@ 2022-09-28  0:19   ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2022-09-28  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Timothy, emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:

> Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:
>
>> I’m trying to make a .org refcard.
>
> Is it intented to replace orgcard.tex at some point?  I believe we
> should stick to using the same format for Org than for Emacs.  If this
> is doable via an .org file that is easier to maintain, that's good.

Something to consider: orgcard.tex is included in the Emacs repo and
fits into their refcard machinery.  If the source changes from .tex to
.org, the .org file must be included in the Emacs repo, as is done with
the .org of the manual now (bug#45143, bug#46837).  Doing so would
involve extra setup and handling on the Emacs side.  Even if someone on
the Org side volunteers to do that work, another case of special
handling probably wouldn't be received warmly.

* Re: Attempting to create orgcard.org
@ 2022-09-28  1:22     ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2022-09-28  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Bastien, Timothy, emacs-orgmode

Hi Kyle,

> Something to consider: orgcard.tex is included in the Emacs repo and
> fits into their refcard machinery.  If the source changes from .tex to
> .org, the .org file must be included in the Emacs repo, as is done with
> the .org of the manual now (bug#45143, bug#46837).  Doing so would
> involve extra setup and handling on the Emacs side.  Even if someone on
> the Org side volunteers to do that work, another case of special
> handling probably wouldn’t be received warmly.

I’d imagine turning the orgcard.org into orgcard.tex/pdf could just be added to
the makefile, no?

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: Attempting to create orgcard.org
@ 2022-09-28  6:22     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-09-28  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Timothy, emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Something to consider: orgcard.tex is included in the Emacs repo and
> fits into their refcard machinery.  If the source changes from .tex to
> .org, the .org file must be included in the Emacs repo, as is done with
> the .org of the manual now (bug#45143, bug#46837).  Doing so would
> involve extra setup and handling on the Emacs side.  Even if someone on
> the Org side volunteers to do that work, another case of special
> handling probably wouldn't be received warmly.

Fully agreed.  And I don't want to be in the same situation than for
the manual, where someone puts a lot of energy into something that we
accept as a temporary experiment, and which becomes something like a
burden for some Emacs maintainers.

Timothy, I believe your efforts are worthwhile as a way to provide
Emacs third-party package maintainers a way to produce a refcard-like
PDF document for their libraries.  But not for Org, where the refcard
is really good enough as it is, especially the Emacs sync constraints
we have right now.

Is that okay with you?

--
 Bastien