* [BUG] LaTeX aligned equations do not have right spacing [9.6.1 (release_9.6.1 @ /home/yhu/dev/prefix/org-mode/emacs/site-lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-01-30 20:38 Rick Hu
From: Rick Hu @ 2023-01-30 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

--text follows this line--

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

Example text in org mode:
\begin{align}
H_1(x) = & 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 \\
S_1(x) = &  -2 x^2 + x^3 \\
\end{align}

When I export this to html and display on a browser, the spacing between the equal sign and the terms behind is very small.
This is not the right amount around an equal sign.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
of 2022-09-21
Package: Org mode version 9.6.1 (release_9.6.1 @ /home/yhu/dev/prefix/org-mode/emacs/site-lisp/org/)

This message, and any attachments, is for use only by the intended recipients. This communication may contain information that is confidential, constitutes attorney work product, is privileged, or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, Virtu requests that you notify us immediately, and that you immediately delete and do not review, copy, retain, or disseminate the message or its attachments.
FOR CANADIAN RECIPIENTS: Virtu believes that it has your implied consent to receive electronic communications as you are either an existing client of Virtu ITG Canada Corp., or its affiliates, or your email address was made available to Virtu.  However, if you wish to stop receiving electronic communications from Virtu, please click here to register your request:  please click here.  Please note that we may not be able to accommodate this request for existing clients, where Virtu is required under securities laws or any other applicable regulations to send certain electronic communications related to your account.
For a list of Virtu’s Email Disclosures and Disclaimers, please go to https://www.virtu.com/email-disclaimer

* Re: [BUG] LaTeX aligned equations do not have right spacing [9.6.1 (release_9.6.1 @ /home/yhu/dev/prefix/org-mode/emacs/site-lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-02-01 15:04 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-01 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Hu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Rick Hu <yhu@virtu.com> writes:

> Example text in org mode:
> \begin{align}
> H_1(x) = & 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 \\
> S_1(x) = &  -2 x^2 + x^3 \\
> \end{align}
>
> When I export this to html and display on a browser, the spacing between the equal sign and the terms behind is very small.
> This is not the right amount around an equal sign.

Could you please elaborate? Maybe attach a screenshot?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-02-01 21:04   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2023-02-01 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Rick Hu, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wed, Feb 01 2023, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Rick Hu <yhu@virtu.com> writes:
>
>> Example text in org mode:
>> \begin{align}
>> H_1(x) = & 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 \\
>> S_1(x) = &  -2 x^2 + x^3 \\
>> \end{align}
>>
>> When I export this to html and display on a browser, the spacing
>> between the equal sign and the terms behind is very small.
>> This is not the right amount around an equal sign.
>
> Could you please elaborate? Maybe attach a screenshot?

Not a bug. See the attached.

Leo

[-- Attachment #2: hu.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org; name="hu.org", Size: 1519 bytes --]

#+TITLE: [BUG] LaTeX aligned equations do not have right spacing
#+AUTHOR: L. Butler

* Report
#+begin_example
From: Rick Hu <yhu@virtu.com>
Subject: [BUG] LaTeX aligned equations do not have right spacing [9.6.1
 (release_9.6.1 @ /home/yhu/dev/prefix/org-mode/emacs/site-lisp/org/)]
To: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 20:38:43 +0000 (2 days, 15 minutes, 16 seconds ago)

Example text in org mode:
\begin{align}
H_1(x) = & 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 \\
S_1(x) = &  -2 x^2 + x^3 \\
\end{align}

When I export this to html and display on a browser, the spacing
between the equal sign and the terms behind is very small.
This is not the right amount around an equal sign.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
of 2022-09-21
Package: Org mode version 9.6.1 (release_9.6.1 @ /home/yhu/dev/prefix/org-mode/emacs/site-lisp/org/)
#+end_example

* Analysis
Let's typeset the \LaTeX{} code above:

\begin{align}
H_1(x) = & 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 \\
S_1(x) = &  -2 x^2 + x^3 \\
\end{align}

There are a few errors, I think, with the \LaTeX{} not Org. Here is the correction:

\begin{align}
H_1(x) & = 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 \\
S_1(x) & = -2 x^2 + x^3
\end{align}

Note that the spacing around the ~=~ sign is correct and there is no spurious third equation label.

** Corrected source

#+begin_example
\begin{align}
H_1(x) & = 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 \\
S_1(x) & = -2 x^2 + x^3
\end{align}
#+end_example

* Conclusion

Not a bug.

[-- Attachment #3: hu.pdf --]

@ 2023-02-02  8:28     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: Rick Hu, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> Not a bug. See the attached.

Thanks for the investigation!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-02-02  8:29 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-02  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Hu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Rick Hu <yhu@virtu.com> writes:

> Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

Canceled.