Ihor Radchenko writes: >> It would be easier to review if this patch was split into 2 parts: >> - add compat.el dependency (unused) >> - replace functions to ones from compat.el > > Sure, but after spending half an hour trying to decouple this part, I > gave up and decided to leave it as is. And there is nothing fancy in > adding compat dependency in 2/3 patch anyway. Just one (require 'compat > nil t), two macro definitions adviced by compat manual (copy-paste from > compat code), and adding compat to EPACKAGES in makefiles. After more fiddling with interactive rebase, I managed to split the patch further. See the attached. Hope it is easier to review now.