* category link idea
@ 2008-02-13 22:32 cezar
From: cezar @ 2008-02-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

  I was browsing my agenda buffer and I got hit by this idea: is it
  possible to have the categories linked ?

  For example I have this MyRailsProject in my agenda buffer and
  clicking the MyRailsProject: part should open up dired pointed at
  ~/MyRailsProject which could be pretty handy, instead of firing up
  dired and browsing to that folder.

  What do you guys think ?

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: category link idea
@ 2008-02-13 23:35 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-02-13 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cezar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

>   I was browsing my agenda buffer and I got hit by this idea: is it
>   possible to have the categories linked ?
>
>   For example I have this MyRailsProject in my agenda buffer and
>   clicking the MyRailsProject: part should open up dired pointed at
>   ~/MyRailsProject which could be pretty handy, instead of firing up
>   dired and browsing to that folder.

Just add a [[file:~/MyRailsProject]] link to your MyRailsProject agenda
task and then C-c C-o on the link to open the dired directory in another
window.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: category link idea
@ 2008-02-14  7:03   ` cezar
From: cezar @ 2008-02-14  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:
>
>>   I was browsing my agenda buffer and I got hit by this idea: is it
>>   possible to have the categories linked ?
>>
>>   For example I have this MyRailsProject in my agenda buffer and
>>   clicking the MyRailsProject: part should open up dired pointed at
>>   ~/MyRailsProject which could be pretty handy, instead of firing up
>>   dired and browsing to that folder.
>
> Just add a [[file:~/MyRailsProject]] link to your MyRailsProject agenda
> task and then C-c C-o on the link to open the dired directory in another
> window.

What I meant was something more like :

#+CATEGORY: [[/home/me/projects/MyProject][MyProject]]

and that would make it a link but it behaves wrong, meaning that the
agenda view show something like:

MyProject:Scheduled:  TODO my task for the project

with the word MyProject underlined. (notice how it joins them together)

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: Re: category link idea
@ 2008-02-17 17:10     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-17 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cezar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Cezar,

by accident, this seems to work for me already.  If I click on
the category, the file is opened.

- Carsten

On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:03 AM, cezar wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:
>>
>>>  I was browsing my agenda buffer and I got hit by this idea: is it
>>>  possible to have the categories linked ?
>>>
>>>  For example I have this MyRailsProject in my agenda buffer and
>>>  clicking the MyRailsProject: part should open up dired pointed at
>>>  ~/MyRailsProject which could be pretty handy, instead of firing up
>>>  dired and browsing to that folder.
>>
>> Just add a [[file:~/MyRailsProject]] link to your MyRailsProject
>> agenda
>> task and then C-c C-o on the link to open the dired directory in
>> another
>> window.
>>

> What I meant was something more like :
>
> #+CATEGORY: [[/home/me/projects/MyProject][MyProject]]
>
> and that would make it a link but it behaves wrong, meaning that the
> agenda view show something like:
>
> MyProject:Scheduled:  TODO my task for the project
>
> with the word MyProject underlined. (notice how it joins them
> together)
>
> Regards,
> Cezar

* Re: category link idea
@ 2008-02-17 20:51       ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-02-17 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Cezar,
>
> by accident, this seems to work for me already.  If I click on
> the category, the file is opened.

Can you describe this ? What do you mean "by accident" and what file ?
Are you using the [[][]] link format for the category name ?

>> What I meant was something more like :
>>
>> #+CATEGORY: [[/home/me/projects/MyProject][MyProject]]
>>
>> and that would make it a link but it behaves wrong, meaning that the
>> agenda view show something like:
>>
>> MyProject:Scheduled:  TODO my task for the project
>>
>> with the word MyProject underlined. (notice how it joins them
>> together)

Do you get this behaviour ? ^^

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: Re: category link idea
@ 2008-02-18  6:05         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-18  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 17, 2008, at 9:51 PM, Cezar Halmagean wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Hi Cezar,
>>
>> by accident, this seems to work for me already.  If I click on
>> the category, the file is opened.
>>

> Can you describe this ? What do you mean "by accident" and what file ?
> Are you using the [[][]] link format for the category name ?

By accident I mean that I never intended this to work.  But Org-mode
activates any links in the agenda buffer, so it will also
activate this one.

>>> What I meant was something more like :
>>>
>>> #+CATEGORY: [[/home/me/projects/MyProject][MyProject]]
>>>
>>> and that would make it a link but it behaves wrong, meaning that the
>>> agenda view show something like:
>>>
>>> MyProject:Scheduled:  TODO my task for the project
>>>
>>> with the word MyProject underlined. (notice how it joins them
>>> together)
>>>

> Do you get this behaviour ? ^^

Yes, I do, the highlight extends beyond the category, just because
the whole line has a mouse-face property.  But if you click on the
category with mouse-2, the link will be followed.

I am not saying that it is a nice implementation, but is does work.

- Carsten

* Re: category link idea
@ 2008-02-18  7:50           ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-02-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Yes, I do, the highlight extends beyond the category, just because
> the whole line has a mouse-face property.  But if you click on the
> category with mouse-2, the link will be followed.
>
> I am not saying that it is a nice implementation, but is does work.
>
> - Carsten

The only thing that bothers me is that it's not aligned right like the
rest. Can that be fixed ?

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: Re: category link idea
@ 2008-02-18 11:05             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-18 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 18, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Cezar Halmagean wrote:

>> Yes, I do, the highlight extends beyond the category, just because
>> the whole line has a mouse-face property.  But if you click on the
>> category with mouse-2, the link will be followed.
>>
>> I am not saying that it is a nice implementation, but is does work.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> The only thing that bothers me is that it's not aligned right like the
> rest. Can that be fixed ?

Unfortunately that requires more than I am willing to put into this.

Sorry.

- Carsten