* Deadlines with Time
@ 2008-08-01 22:43 Florian Beck
From: Florian Beck @ 2008-08-01 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

sometimes I want to specify a deadline with a certain time.

Without a time, there is no problem. The deadline shows up a couple of
times earlier, which is fine.

However, when I specify a time like
  DEADLINE: <2008-08-04 Mon 16:00>

this shows up in the daily agenda of Saturday like this:

               8:00...... ----------------
              10:00...... ----------------
              12:00...... ----------------
              14:00...... ----------------
              16:00...... ----------------
  Plan:       16:00...... In   2 d.:  TODO Some Task

This is not helpful, it does not belong in the timetable for today. I
want the task to show up in the agenda view, just not in the timetable.
How can I accomplish that?

Also, there is a bug when I add a timestamp to the task:

* TODO Some Task <2008-08-02 Sat 14:00>
  DEADLINE: <2008-08-04 Mon 16:00>

This is displayed thusly in the agenda view (note the wrong time on the
second occurance):

               8:00...... ----------------
              10:00...... ----------------
              12:00...... ----------------
              14:00...... ----------------
  Plan:       14:00...... TODO Some Task
              16:00...... ----------------
  Plan:       14:00...... In   2 d.:  TODO Some Task

Maybe it does not make much sense to specify a deadline after the
timestamp. Anyway, I noticed it when playing around.
--
Florian Beck

* Re: Deadlines with Time
@ 2008-08-02  0:11 ` Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-08-02  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Beck; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

There is a customize variable called "org deadline warning days" - Maybe
this setting has something to do with what you are seeing?

Jose

@ 2008-08-02  0:56   ` Florian Beck
From: Florian Beck @ 2008-08-02  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jose Robins <jorobins@yahoo.com> writes:

> There is a customize variable called "org deadline warning days" -
> Maybe this setting has something to do with what you are seeing?

Yes sure, I can set org-deadline-warning-days to 0 and never see an upcoming
deadline. However, that is not what I want.

The agenda view has two parts: (a) the time table and (b) a list of
tasks that are scheduled for today, due today or due within
org-set-deadline-warning-days. Tasks that are due tomorrow at 14:00
should show up in (b), not in (a).

What I see is this:

               8:00...... ----------------
              10:00...... ----------------
              12:00...... ----------------
              14:00...... ----------------
  Plan:       14:00...... TODO Some Task
              16:00...... ----------------
  Plan:       14:00...... In   2 d.:  TODO Some Task (*)
  Plan:       Deadline:   TODO Other task without time
  Plan:       In   2 d.:  TODO Yet another Task (**)

I *do* want the task (*) show up in the agenda view, but *not* in the
timetable, because I do not have to do (*) today at 14:00.  What I want
is to show (*) the same way as (**), i.e. like a task with no time
specified, *below* the time table.

@ 2008-09-04 15:10 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Beck; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Florian,

On Aug 2, 2008, at 12:43 AM, Florian Beck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sometimes I want to specify a deadline with a certain time.
>
> Without a time, there is no problem. The deadline shows up a couple of
> times earlier, which is fine.
>
> However, when I specify a time like
>  DEADLINE: <2008-08-04 Mon 16:00>
>
> this shows up in the daily agenda of Saturday like this:
>
>               8:00...... ----------------
>              10:00...... ----------------
>              12:00...... ----------------
>              14:00...... ----------------
>              16:00...... ----------------
>  Plan:       16:00...... In   2 d.:  TODO Some Task
>
> This is not helpful, it does not belong in the timetable for today. I
> want the task to show up in the agenda view, just not in the
> timetable.
> How can I accomplish that?

This is a bug, and it is fixed now.  Thanks for the report.

> Also, there is a bug when I add a timestamp to the task:
>
> * TODO Some Task <2008-08-02 Sat 14:00>
>  DEADLINE: <2008-08-04 Mon 16:00>
>
> This is displayed thusly in the agenda view (note the wrong time on
> the
> second occurance):
>
>               8:00...... ----------------
>              10:00...... ----------------
>  Plan:       14:00...... TODO Some Task
>  Plan:       14:00...... In   2 d.:  TODO Some Task

This one is kind of hard to fix, so please live with it or move
timestamps for such cases into the body of the entry, not into the
heading.

HTH

- Carsten