John Hendy writes: > Hi, > > > One thing I really like to use orgmode for is research. Lately, > there's a mass of stuff on-line that I've been reading though and am > about to start reading through a series of articles and had the idea > to yank them into org for "inline notes." > > My current experiment has been: > - wget the website page > - run a custom script of simple sed stuff to get the major stuff > converted ( & -> /, "e; -> ", etc.) > - turn things into headlines where applicable > - manually tweak the rest > > What I'd like to do is find some way to take notes in the article and > would like some suggestions from anyone who's done this. On one hand, > I see the idea of keeping a separate headline for notes, and for a > series of articles, my file might look like this: > ,--- > | * Article 1 > | ** Notes on article 1 > | * Article 2 > | ** Notes on article 2 > `--- > > One advantage to this is that I could very easily add :noexport: to my > notes and print off a hard copy of the article if I want it, and it > would also be easy to tag my notes :notes: and then replace-string to > turn the Article :export: into :noexport: and :notes: into :export:. > Then I'd have an easy to print copy of my notes for each article. > > On the other hand, I like quoting when I use notes, and could see it > as advantageous to have something like: > ,--- > | * Article 1 > | It goes along and says x, y, and z. > | --- Me: that's interesting and here are my thoughts. > | > | It continues along saying all kinds of other things and my comments > are interjected whenever I want. > `--- > > I think that might be more useful for studying things later, as I get > to see an "annotated" version with my thoughts at the time I read it. > What it *doesn't* allow for is the easy printing of both the article > and the notes separately if I want. > > Would someone suggest a way that I might be able to have the best of > both worlds? Some of my own not-at-all-hashed-out-ideas included: > - using footnotes since org has easy ways to jump from one to another, > but this would be tough when it came to actual footnotes, which there > will definitely be plenty of. > > - highlighting the text I want to quote and then using refile somehow > to send it off to my notes section with my comments. This would be > cool if I could, at the same time, add an org-mode link to and from > the notes and original section, but also if I could turn that link off > when I export to PDF so I don't have hypertext to a non-existent link > if I don't export my notes as well. > > Part of the reason that keeping notes/article separate is that I have > others interested in the articles and, if I need to send them a copy, > I want to get my junk out of there and have the original. I suppose I > could just keep two copies, though? > > I think this idea could be useful to others and actually wouldn't > doubt if someone has an awesome setup for something like this already. > > > Thanks for any suggestions! > John > > -- Eric Schulte http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/