* getorg.sh script
@ 2011-07-28  9:56 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-07-28  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

These days I use this when an org-mode update fails and I have to erase
the whole org-mode directory tree and clone org-mode again.
Cut here.

#!/bin/bash
#file getorg.sh - run git to update local org repository.
if [ -r ~/org-mode  ]; then
echo "updating emacs-org-mode"
cd org-mode
git pull
make all
sudo make install
sudo make install-info
exit 0
fi
echo "getting new clone of emacs-org-mode"
mkdir org-mode
cd ~/org-mode
git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
make all
sudo make install
sudo make install-info

cut here.
I learned some additional bash shell technique as a result of having
written this script so am happy to have done it and gained the experience.

* Re: getorg.sh script
@ 2011-07-28 14:04 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-07-28 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> These days I use this when an org-mode update fails and I have to erase
> the whole org-mode directory tree and clone org-mode again.
> Cut here.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #file getorg.sh - run git to update local org repository.
> if [ -r ~/org-mode  ]; then
> echo "updating emacs-org-mode"
> cd org-mode
> git pull
> make all
> sudo make install
> sudo make install-info
> exit 0
> fi
> echo "getting new clone of emacs-org-mode"
> mkdir org-mode
> cd ~/org-mode
> git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> make all
> sudo make install
> sudo make install-info
>
> cut here.
> I learned some additional bash shell technique as a result of having
> written this script so am happy to have done it and gained the experience.

Hi Jude,

In what situations does org-mode update fail?  I've never had to reclone
the org-mode repository - ever.  If git update fails, just do it again.
Recloning means you need to download all of the objects for org-mode
again which should never be necessary.

If you've messed up your local master branch somehow and want to revert
back to the official 'master' branch then just

$ git checkout master
$ git reset --hard origin/master

which throws away any local commits and uncommitted changes in your
working directory.

I fail to understand why you would ever need this script.  Can you
please elaborate?

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: getorg.sh script
@ 2011-07-28 21:34   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-07-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Whenever I apply a patch to the Makefile an orgmode update fails since
my local changes have to be stashed or commited according to git.  It's
the merge step that fails.

I probably know less about git than I ought to, but that's what's
happened over here.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>
> > These days I use this when an org-mode update fails and I have to erase
> > the whole org-mode directory tree and clone org-mode again.
> > Cut here.
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > #file getorg.sh - run git to update local org repository.
> > if [ -r ~/org-mode  ]; then
> > echo "updating emacs-org-mode"
> > cd org-mode
> > git pull
> > make all
> > sudo make install
> > sudo make install-info
> > exit 0
> > fi
> > echo "getting new clone of emacs-org-mode"
> > mkdir org-mode
> > cd ~/org-mode
> > git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> > make all
> > sudo make install
> > sudo make install-info
> >
> > cut here.
> > I learned some additional bash shell technique as a result of having
> > written this script so am happy to have done it and gained the experience.
>
> Hi Jude,
>
> In what situations does org-mode update fail?  I've never had to reclone
> the org-mode repository - ever.  If git update fails, just do it again.
> Recloning means you need to download all of the objects for org-mode
> again which should never be necessary.
>
> If you've messed up your local master branch somehow and want to revert
> back to the official 'master' branch then just
>
> $ git checkout master
> $ git reset --hard origin/master
>
> which throws away any local commits and uncommitted changes in your
> working directory.
>
> I fail to understand why you would ever need this script.  Can you
> please elaborate?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernt

* Re: getorg.sh script
@ 2011-07-28 21:39     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-07-28 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> In what situations does org-mode update fail?  I've never had to reclone
>> the org-mode repository - ever.  If git update fails, just do it again.
>> Recloning means you need to download all of the objects for org-mode
>> again which should never be necessary.
>>
>> If you've messed up your local master branch somehow and want to revert
>> back to the official 'master' branch then just
>>
>> $ git checkout master
>> $ git reset --hard origin/master
>>
>> which throws away any local commits and uncommitted changes in your
>> working directory.
>>
>> I fail to understand why you would ever need this script.  Can you
>> please elaborate?

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> Whenever I apply a patch to the Makefile an orgmode update fails since
> my local changes have to be stashed or commited according to git.  It's
> the merge step that fails.
>
> I probably know less about git than I ought to, but that's what's
> happened over here.

Okay - there's an article on Worg about keeping local changes on top of
org-mode development (basically you commit your Makefile changes and
always rebase on top of origin/master -- which happens automatically
when you merge with git pull)

If that happens and you get a conflict you don't know how to deal with
and you're willing to reedit your Makefile changes (which you would have
to do anyway if you get a fresh clone) then you can just nuke everything
with

$ git checkout master
$ git reset --hard origin/master

and then redo your Makefile changes instead of recloning.

Let me know if I can provide any information to make this less painful
for you.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: getorg.sh script
@ 2011-07-28 21:50       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-07-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, emacs-orgmode

Hi Jude,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> If that happens and you get a conflict you don't know how to deal with
> and you're willing to reedit your Makefile changes (which you would have
> to do anyway if you get a fresh clone) then you can just nuke everything
> with
>
> $ git checkout master
> $ git reset --hard origin/master
>
> and then redo your Makefile changes instead of recloning.

If you are willing to commit your changes to the Makefile in your local
repository you can do this:

$ <edit> Makefile # here master = origin/master
$ git commit -i Makefile -m "My changes" # master = origin/master+1
$ git pull --rebase --stat

--
Suvayu