* css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-01 13:14 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I find the links difficult to spot in Worg sometimes, especially
depending on monitor angle and current brightness setting. Is this an
issue for anyone else?

I fiddled around in /style/worg.css a bit and didn't land on anything
too great. I'm wondering if anyone with a design background might have
suggestions for link colors? I guess if no one else is affected by
this... I'll just deal with it and mine sweep wildly with my mouse
when I think a link should be in there somewhere :)

John

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-03  9:45 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-03  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> I find the links difficult to spot in Worg sometimes, especially
> depending on monitor angle and current brightness setting. Is this an
> issue for anyone else?

Yes, it is for me too.

> I fiddled around in /style/worg.css a bit and didn't land on anything
> too great. I'm wondering if anyone with a design background might have
> suggestions for link colors? I guess if no one else is affected by
> this... I'll just deal with it and mine sweep wildly with my mouse
> when I think a link should be in there somewhere :)

Even if that's not great, something *better* would be nice already.
The difficult part is to stick to the colors of the Unicorn while
making the link more readable -- if you can enhance this, the change
will be welcome.

 Bastien

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-03 10:20   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-04-03 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> Even if that's not great, something *better* would be nice already.
> The difficult part is to stick to the colors of the Unicorn while
> making the link more readable

Surely you mean the colors of the Ostrich? (It's April 3, and the
ostrich is still up on the main Orgmode page.)

Ostriches hide in plain sight by laying their head and neck on the
ground to look like stones or mounds of earth, hence the head-in-sand
myth. So camouflaging the links to blend in with their environment seems
like the right thing to do.

:)

Yours,
Christian

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-03 10:47     ` Vincent Beffara
From: Vincent Beffara @ 2013-04-03 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Moe; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

> > Even if that's not great, something *better* would be nice already.
> > The difficult part is to stick to the colors of the Unicorn while
> > making the link more readable
>
> Surely you mean the colors of the Ostrich? (It's April 3, and the
> ostrich is still up on the main Orgmode page.)

The angry unicorn is still in worg though ...

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-03 10:57       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-03 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Beffara; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Christian Moe

Vincent Beffara <vbeffara@ens-lyon.fr> writes:

> The angry unicorn is still in worg though ...

And it's back on orgmode.org too.

No time for procrastination anymoe :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-04  0:05         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-04  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Vincent Beffara, emacs-orgmode, Christian Moe

Alright, just pushed changes. I just used this site to upload the
original Org unicorn and get the colors from it:
- http://www.colr.org/

Then all I did was reverse the scheme -- unvisited/visited are now
light/dark greenish and the hover color is rust (dark red). I think
the green "pops" a bit more off the screen than the red. I tried and
find a balance between unvisited links looking different (lighter)
while not dimming the visited links *too* much so that they became
hidden again.

Another option would be to have unvisited as lighter green or red,
visited as the opposite, and the hover as something completely
different and obvious (not necessarily in the color scheme at all) as
that's the rarest color experienced.

Anyway, hopefully it's not too jarring and seen as at least a slight
improvement. Let me know if you don't like it!

Best regards,
John

@ 2013-04-04  7:40         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-04-04  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:
> > The angry unicorn is still in worg though ...
>
> And it's back on orgmode.org too.

Well let me say it again, I don't like it at all.  The old unicorn seemed to
be blissful, which I think is what it should feel like using Org.  Besides,
the new logo has some hard-not-to-notice problems with perspective and the
anatomy of the unicorn head.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-04  9:56           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-04  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Vincent Beffara, emacs-orgmode, Christian Moe

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Then all I did was reverse the scheme -- unvisited/visited are now
> light/dark greenish and the hover color is rust (dark red).

Thanks -- this is what I did first but Suvayu found this confusing,
so I inverted the colors...  Maybe the trick is to make them more
visible by "lightening" the colors.  I'm definitely no expert on
this, so help is welcome.

--
 Bastien

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-05 23:11           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-05 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@NexGo.DE> writes:

> Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:
>> > The angry unicorn is still in worg though ...
>>
>> And it's back on orgmode.org too.
>
> Well let me say it again, I don't like it at all.  The old unicorn seemed to
> be blissful, which I think is what it should feel like using Org.  Besides,
> the new logo has some hard-not-to-notice problems with perspective and the
> anatomy of the unicorn head.

If people massively vote for the come back of the old unicorn,
I've nothing against it.  Let's deal with this after 8.0 though.

--
 Bastien

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-06  8:23 ` Alexander Poslavsky
From: Alexander Poslavsky @ 2013-04-06  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode

On 1 Apr 2013, at 15:14, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find the links difficult to spot in Worg sometimes, especially
> depending on monitor angle and current brightness setting. Is this an
> issue for anyone else?
>
> I fiddled around in /style/worg.css a bit and didn't land on anything
> too great. I'm wondering if anyone with a design background might have
> suggestions for link colors? I guess if no one else is affected by
> this... I'll just deal with it and mine sweep wildly with my mouse
> when I think a link should be in there somewhere :)

In the old days lines used to be underlined, nowadays it is considered a bit dated, but an underlined item in a sentence is generally understood to be a link.

A good example is http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/html/elements/a

Which uses:

a { text-decoration: underline }

and for external links:

a.external {
padding-right: 15px;
margin-right: 5px;
background-image: url(skins/webplatform/images/link-external.png);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: right 3px;
}

Design as this won't do on behance or dribble, but worg is primarily for documentation. Usability and readability should trump superficial aesthetics in a case like this.

* Gmane orgmode down?
@ 2013-04-06  8:28   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-06  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm reading emacs-orgmode through Gmane and was surprised to not see
any new message for the last few hours.  Maybe Gmane does not deliver
emails properly -- can anyone confirm the problem is on Gmane and not
on my side ?

I'm reading through the mailing list for now.

 Bastien

* Re: Gmane orgmode down?
@ 2013-04-06  8:46     ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-04-06  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Looks like gmane has a problem. The most recent message I see is 5 April
10:05.

Yours,
Christian

Bastien writes:

> I'm reading emacs-orgmode through Gmane and was surprised to not see
> any new message for the last few hours.  Maybe Gmane does not deliver
> emails properly -- can anyone confirm the problem is on Gmane and not
> on my side ?
>
> I'm reading through the mailing list for now.
>
> Thanks,

* Re: Gmane orgmode down?
@ 2013-04-06  9:35       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-06  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Moe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian,

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Looks like gmane has a problem. The most recent message I see is 5 April
> 10:05.

Ah, thanks for confirming.

I dropped an email to Lars, but I guess he knows.

--
 Bastien

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-06 17:53   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-06 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Poslavsky; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Alexander Poslavsky
<alexander.poslavsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2013, at 15:14, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I find the links difficult to spot in Worg sometimes, especially
> depending on monitor angle and current brightness setting. Is this an
> issue for anyone else?
>
> I fiddled around in /style/worg.css a bit and didn't land on anything
> too great. I'm wondering if anyone with a design background might have
> suggestions for link colors? I guess if no one else is affected by
> this... I'll just deal with it and mine sweep wildly with my mouse
> when I think a link should be in there somewhere :)
>

> In the old days lines used to be underlined, nowadays it is considered a bit
> dated, but an underlined item in a sentence is generally understood to be a
> link.
>
> A good example is http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/html/elements/a
>
> Which uses:
>
> a { text-decoration: underline }
>
> and for external links:
>
> a.external {
> padding-right: 15px;
> margin-right: 5px;
> background-image: url(skins/webplatform/images/link-external.png);
> background-repeat: no-repeat;
> background-position: right 3px;
> }

I wouldn't mind this at all. Or perhaps the same color link, but
unvisited is underlined and visited is not? Or reddish + underline for
unvisited, greenish + underline for visited, and hover simply
brightens up each respective color or something?

> Design as this won't do on behance or dribble, but worg is primarily for
> documentation. Usability and readability should trump superficial aesthetics
> in a case like this.

Agreed as well. It drives me crazy to have posted to the list a couple
times recently for someone to tell me where, exactly, something is
only to find out there was, indeed, a link in the paragraph I was
looking at but didn't see it!

@ 2013-04-06 17:59     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-06 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Alexander Poslavsky, emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Agreed as well.

+1

> It drives me crazy to have posted to the list a couple times
> recently for someone to tell me where, exactly, something is only to
> find out there was, indeed, a link in the paragraph I was looking at
> but didn't see it!

I hereby declare you "Head of Worg Design Department"!

Please be bold.

--
 Bastien

* Re: css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
@ 2013-04-15 19:55       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-15 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Alexander Poslavsky, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Agreed as well.
>
> +1
>
>> It drives me crazy to have posted to the list a couple times
>> recently for someone to tell me where, exactly, something is only to
>> find out there was, indeed, a link in the paragraph I was looking at
>> but didn't see it!
>
> I hereby declare you "Head of Worg Design Department"!
>
> Please be bold.

Didn't get to this, but looks like someone else did a bit of an
overhaul! No more gray background, blue/purple links and simple
underline appearance for hover. Works for me.

John

@ 2013-04-16  6:28         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-16  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Alexander Poslavsky, emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Didn't get to this, but looks like someone else did a bit of an
> overhaul! No more gray background, blue/purple links and simple
> underline appearance for hover. Works for me.

I did this.  This was inspired by Jambunathan's suggestion to look
a bit more "plain", which I liked indeed.

--
 Bastien