From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
To: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Asynchronous org-agenda-redo
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 17:39:10 +0800	[thread overview]

>> Asynchronous code is not faster; it's generally slower because of
>> yielding and synchronization.

> Anyway, I will try to throw yields into agenda code just to check how
> bad the performance can degrade.

With the following code, org-agenda-redo runs for 21 second on my
system, while without threads it is 16 seconds. However, emacs remains
responsive during rebuilding agenda!

(define-advice org-agenda-redo (:around (oldfun &optional all) make-async)
  (make-thread (lambda () (funcall oldfun all)) "org-agenda-redo"))
(define-advice org-agenda-skip-eval (:around (oldfun form) make-async)
  (thread-join (make-thread (lambda () (funcall oldfun form)) "org-agenda-skip-eval")))

The problem, of course, is that touching agenda buffer and org buffers
may be risky while org-agenda-redo is running.
Wondering if it is possible to block user commands during that time.

Best,
Ihor

--
Ihor Radchenko,